Chiller in a hot room

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've run a chiller in a garage for many years without issue. This is in Florida where my garage is easily 100*+ in the summer. It works great with nothing additional needed. I'm sure it would be more efficient with cooler ambient temps, but there has never been a cooling issue on any of my setups.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Georgia and I have run a chiller in my garage this summer. It does get over 100F but the chiller seem to work just fine.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the heat can be removed from the chiller it will be fine. A vent or better yet exhaust fan in the garage to pull hot air out would be ideal. Home AC units are outside and in the attic and here in AZ summers get 110°f+, them seem to work just fine.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe my chiller sucks but, I had issues this summer when the garage was 105. I have ceiling vent and eventually just decided to cool the whole garage with an AC.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe my chiller sucks but, I had issues this summer when the garage was 105. I have ceiling vent and eventually just decided to cool the whole garage with an AC.

Your chiller is probably under rated. I run a 1/3 HP JBJ chiller on my 400G system and the sump is actually in the garage with the chiller. My tank drops 1F within half an hour in the summer when the chiller is running. I do want to find a way to cool the garage though. Over 100F always make me worry.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back