Chiller recommendations

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I have not had an issue with my tank and temps before, but the heat waves we have had this summer have already hit my corals hard! I usually just float water bottles that I have in my freezer for the hot days, but this is not even keeping up with it. I do have AC in my house and have been running it cooler than I would like. I wanted to look at a chiller for my tank, but was a bit overwhelmed with all the options/choices. I currently have my apex in the chiller area of my Reefer, but could try and move that.

Tank: RedSea Reefer 525 XL

Thanks for all the advice!

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a Pacific Coast chiller from 15 years ago. Getting ready to hook it back up. But this time, I am moving it outside and currently and weather proofing it. Removed the case and ditching the control board. Will make a new housing and control via Apex.

I do know this chiller will need to be replaced soon so I have been paying attention to some others.

From everything I have read, stay away from JBJ. All chillers will have issues as they are mechanical devices, but JBJ does a poor job on standing behind the chillers.

I have always heard great things about Trade Wind. You can't beat built in the US, but you will pay for it.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a Pacific Coast chiller from 15 years ago. Getting ready to hook it back up. But this time, I am moving it outside and currently and weather proofing it. Removed the case and ditching the control board. Will make a new housing and control via Apex.

I do know this chiller will need to be replaced soon so I have been paying attention to some others.

From everything I have read, stay away from JBJ. All chillers will have issues as they are mechanical devices, but JBJ does a poor job on standing behind the chillers.

I have always heard great things about Trade Wind. You can't beat built in the US, but you will pay for it.

I have a Trade Winds drop in type. 1/4hp on a 75g mixed reef. I run it at 77*F . 10 years and counting. I did have to replace the controller after the 1st year. Under warranty. I would recommend it. P1000695.JPG chiller on top right corner

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever company you go with, but a chiller designed for 1.5 x the volume of your tank volume.
I have ecoplus commercial grade 1.5hp chiller for my 300g system running perfectly for last 10 yrs. Plus I have 3 more smaller chillers for my at setup and mixing bin. (My whole setup is in garage with Oklahoma heat getting up to 120-130 inside the garage.)

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used a JBJ 1/15 on my old tank, ran for 6yrs no problem. Now I have a JBJ 1/10 bought it used for a steal. It's been working great on my reefer 350, keeps the temp at 79-80f and it's quiet operation.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used a JBJ 1/15 on my old tank, ran for 6yrs no problem. Now I have a JBJ 1/10 bought it used for a steal. It's been working great on my reefer 350, keeps the temp at 79-80f and it's quiet operation.

Glad to hear that is working out for you. When I research chiller brands, I have come across a lot of complaints regarding JBJ chillers. I have not be able to decipher water part is the problem as some parts can just be changed out from other brands used chillers.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone asked for pics of my chillers and setup, here it is. i have 1.5hp chiller on the main tank. 1/10 hp on dual qt setup and 1/4 on my mixing bin.

20130407_201143.jpg

20130419_173448.jpg

20130419_173637.jpg

20130524_153405.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back