Chillers

  • Thread starter Thread starter burbon44s
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

burbon44s

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 17, 2014
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an old aquamedic chiller from 2000. I took it apart to clean and noticed that the heat exchanger is pvc, but the cooler pipe is copper.
Should I be worried about using this chiller on my reef tank?
The main reason for asking was because I just noticed one of my zoas are starting to melt. The zoa is right under the outlet tube.
Any opinions?
 
If there is any copper in contact with the aquarium water then no do not use it. If it is just the fins or heat sink/heat exchanger and is external to the flow then it wouldn't hurt anything.
 
Yeah, looking at it, water flows through pvc. But then the refrigerated copper line goes into the pvc. Maybe it's coated with something?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new