Chitons?

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw about 7 of these last night on my back overflows. I think they are chitons, but if they are they are babies. Very tiny, dry rock was used, but when I first got some corals, I didn't have a dip, qt'd till I did, and saw one. I put it in my dp, and haven't seen it again. When morning lights came on, they slowly moved off. Well, at least I hope they are chitons. Looks like I might have quite a few of them.

chiton.jpg

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Robin,
I believe they are chitons

The search function is a good tool. There are many threads about chiton I.D. and lots of information

Hope this helps

OP
OP
RobinC

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Robin,
I believe they are chitons

The search function is a good tool. There are many threads about chiton I.D. and lots of information

Hope this helps
I did use it, that's how come the first one got tossed in my DT a year and 3 months ago. They are very tiny and must be breeding in the tank, and living in the over-flows. That seems to be where they all retreated to. I don't know enough to be sure at this size. Small white things scare me, lol.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be good, they hide pretty well , I find them inside the sump, skimmer, pumps, power heads as well as in the overflow. They don’t hurt anything, but can get stuck in the needle wheel impeller.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say probably limpets, yes. Harmless algae-eaters for the majority of species you're likely to see, and particularly likely to be harmless given that these are quite small.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back