Chloramine and reef

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't notice my rodi unit wasn't filtering correctly and so I missed changing out my carbon blocks and resins so been ato with chloramine breached water.

How long does chloramine stay in the main display? I've lost a few large colonies due to this and want to get on the path to recovery.

I have added prime to my ato storage to fix the issues.
Anyone know?

Thanks

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choliramine is Cholorine bonded with an Ammonia ion, it lasts substantially longer than free Cholorine. Last I read, so this is coming from memory, is that Choliramine can last up to 3 weeks

OP
OP
S

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catalytic Carbon will remove it. I use it in one of RODI stages.

Yeah I forgot to check my carts. Just wanted to know about the ones that made it into my tank from ato.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't notice my rodi unit wasn't filtering correctly and so I missed changing out my carbon blocks and resins so been ato with chloramine breached water.

How long does chloramine stay in the main display? I've lost a few large colonies due to this and want to get on the path to recovery.

I have added prime to my ato storage to fix the issues.
Anyone know?

Thanks

Did you actually measure chlorine/chloramine in the ATO water? Or are you just guessing it is there?

I would not worry about the display tank. It likely reacted and decomposed already.

OP
OP
S

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you actually measure chlorine/chloramine in the ATO water? Or are you just guessing it is there?

I would not worry about the display tank. It likely reacted and decomposed already.

Hi Randy,

I measured it in the output storage in ato container. 0.22ppm total chlorine presence.

My issues started about 3.5 months ago. So my top of range from 5-7 gallons a day during the summer cause my Central AC is broken only have chiller. So I've been going of with this water and it slowly cause 8-9 large colonies is SPS to stn. Just wanted to see what I could do to get it back on track.

Figure it'll take a month or two of typing of with good water to get this fix.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

I measured it in the output storage in ato container. 0.22ppm total chlorine presence.

My issues started about 3.5 months ago. So my top of range from 5-7 gallons a day during the summer cause my Central AC is broken only have chiller. So I've been going of with this water and it slowly cause 8-9 large colonies is SPS to stn. Just wanted to see what I could do to get it back on track.

I just read a post on purposely adding bleach to kill dinoflagellates. If I did the math correctly, the suggested dose was about 0.6 ppm. And there was no issue with fish or coral. If I understand your situation, you were adding diluting a 0.22 ppm freshwater solution. Your cincentration would be very low

Water from my fish only system will consume about 1-2 ppm within 24 hours, supporting Randy’s notion that the tank water will consume the chloramines pretty quickly.

Maybe you will have to consider other potential causes for your coral problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

Chlorine and chloramine do not remain in aquarium water for long, so hopefully things will turn around, regardless of whether the chlorine/chloramine was a cause or not. :)

OP
OP
S

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't figure out what else is wrong. All parameters are correct except this. I don't see any pests either on the corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back