Chloroquine Phosphate in display

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our display tank is fallow and in the final stretch to rid of an ich outbreak. I'm thinking of dosing chloroquine. Background, I got back into the hobby 8 months ago by buying a 180g tank and 55g sump from a fellow aquarist who was leaving the hobby. The tank had water in and was running without any livestock for an unknown period of time. I retained almost half of the water and got her up and running. Of course I was impatient and stocked it with a cuc, fish, a few anemones, and a couple of coral frags. They all did great for a few months until a ich outbreak reared its ugly head. I removed the fish and bought 2 smaller tanks and did the TTM, main tank now fallow. During this time a flatworm outbreak appeared and now a vermetid snail explosion. There are a few shrimp, anemones, crabs, snails, and a display refugium with a few different macros, sponges and pods.

I'm thinking of removing the cuc and macros to one of the qt tanks and using chloroquine to rid the main system of flatworms and vermetid snails. The macros will get a flatworm exit treatment and the cuc will get a extended qt period to rid of vermetid. The coral frags will also get an extended qt before returning to the main system. Additionally, all incoming stock will undergo prophylactic treatment.

For the main system treatment, I'm thinking of dosing CP at a 50mg/gallon rate 2-3 times. I am in the understanding that the live rock and substrate will reduce the concentration of the medication. I'll also use this time to rearrange the aquascape to a something more pleasing.

Is this a good idea?

My biggest concern is how to appropriately qt macros, frags, cuc so I do not reintroduce flatworms or vermetid snails.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a horrible idea.

If you are fallow and in the final stretch, why would you want to?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our display tank is fallow and in the final stretch to rid of an ich outbreak. I'm thinking of dosing chloroquine. Background, I got back into the hobby 8 months ago by buying a 180g tank and 55g sump from a fellow aquarist who was leaving the hobby. The tank had water in and was running without any livestock for an unknown period of time. I retained almost half of the water and got her up and running. Of course I was impatient and stocked it with a cuc, fish, a few anemones, and a couple of coral frags. They all did great for a few months until a ich outbreak reared its ugly head. I removed the fish and bought 2 smaller tanks and did the TTM, main tank now fallow. During this time a flatworm outbreak appeared and now a vermetid snail explosion. There are a few shrimp, anemones, crabs, snails, and a display refugium with a few different macros, sponges and pods.

I'm thinking of removing the cuc and macros to one of the qt tanks and using chloroquine to rid the main system of flatworms and vermetid snails. The macros will get a flatworm exit treatment and the cuc will get a extended qt period to rid of vermetid. The coral frags will also get an extended qt before returning to the main system. Additionally, all incoming stock will undergo prophylactic treatment.

For the main system treatment, I'm thinking of dosing CP at a 50mg/gallon rate 2-3 times. I am in the understanding that the live rock and substrate will reduce the concentration of the medication. I'll also use this time to rearrange the aquascape to a something more pleasing.

Is this a good idea?

My biggest concern is how to appropriately qt macros, frags, cuc so I do not reintroduce flatworms or vermetid snails.

I would just wait out the fallow period and be patient.

OP
OP
Sidewyz

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the eradication of flatworms and Vermetid snails. I'm already half "disassembled" I'm thinking now would be the best time. Once I reintroduce the fish, I'd have a real concern of the ammonia spike. I'd readily entertain alternative ideas on how to accomplish both those goals otherwise?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the eradication of flatworms and Vermetid snails. I'm already half "disassembled" I'm thinking now would be the best time. Once I reintroduce the fish, I'd have a real concern of the ammonia spike. I'd readily entertain alternative ideas on how to accomplish both those goals otherwise?

What's your "ID" on the flatworms? What kind are they?

OP
OP
Sidewyz

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm Convolutriloba sp

flatworm.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend against as well. Not sure I know if anyone that’s done so to speak to it, however.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm Convolutriloba sp

flatworm.jpg

The flat worms would get sucked out as much as I could with a vacuum syphon and or flat worm exit. Caution with exit, if over dosed can cause issues with die off. Vermetid snails, break them off when you see them. Their numbers will self regulate with a available food.

OP
OP
Sidewyz

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flat worms would get sucked out as much as I could with a vacuum syphon and or flat worm exit. Caution with exit, if over dosed can cause issues with die off. Vermetid snails, break them off when you see them. Their numbers will self regulate with a available food.
The die off is what concerns me. Say I return the fish to the main system and the population of flat worms continues to be problematic. I'd have to dose flatworm exit with the fish in the tank which would expose the fish to the poisons released from flatworm death. If I kill them all now, no risk to fish as they're not in the tank. I was going to treat the main system with flatworm exit but am thinking about chloroquin as it will also kill the vermetid snail outbreak.

OP
OP
Sidewyz

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't it also be better with vermetid elimination instead of maintaining a system with them?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sidewyz

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good read, thank you for the link.

Question, you mention your preference to treat for the flatworm during the fallow period why not treat for the vermetids also? Have you had an adverse experience with CP?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good read, thank you for the link.

Question, you mention your preference to treat for the flatworm during the fallow period why not treat for the vermetids also? Have you had an adverse experience with CP?

Im just old school when it comes to treating a whole tank. If I was in fallow for, say ich and had lots of flatworms, I'd go after the flatworms.

Vermetid snails to me are just a nuisance and can be handled manually. Just me. I just don't like chemically treating a DT when I don't have to. That's just me.

OP
OP
Sidewyz

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya and appreciate your experience and willingness to share. I'm trying to balance your position with those who would take this opportunity to create a "pest free" system. My past systems have all been about "management" of pests and I'll lured to the side of pest free. Looking for experiences from those who'd go down that path too......

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya and appreciate your experience and willingness to share. I'm trying to balance your position with those who would take this opportunity to create a "pest free" system. My past systems have all been about "management" of pests and I'll lured to the side of pest free. Looking for experiences from those who'd go down that path too......

Your welcome. One last thing and I'll let others chime in is that I wouldn't want to wipe out all my micro fauna with chems. Only a last ditch effort, luckly that I've never had to do.

Let's see what others say.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ‘nuked’ a small coral QT with chloroquine phosphate (proper CP, not the eBay crap) last year that had become a pest haven - flatworms, majanos, aiptasia, red bugs - thus useless for its stated purpose. CP killed everything and it was a huge mess. Only 30 gallons though, so no biggie. I reseeded it with bristles and brittles from my main system, which has no shortage of either. I would not, however, nuke a larger system. Better, IMO, to find biological answers to pests.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back