Chocolate tang is scratching its eye with its fin

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3.5 ich chocolate tang and he is scratching himself with his fin around its eye. But his eye is clear and doesn't look cloudy at all. But I did see like one spot of ich on his face. So I'm pretty sure he has ich which I don't know how he got it because I've had copper in the tank for a month and a half. But I just want to know if the scratching is just because of ich or is in another disease. Also he is still eating very good
My parameters are good

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3.5 ich chocolate tang and he is scratching himself with his fin around its eye. But his eye is clear and doesn't look cloudy at all. But I did see like one spot of ich on his face. So I'm pretty sure he has ich which I don't know how he got it because I've had copper in the tank for a month and a half. But I just want to know if the scratching is just because of ich or is in another disease. Also he is still eating very good
My parameters are good

Hi,

How long has the tang been scratching?
How long did it have the spot?

Scratching is more often a symptom of flukes than of ich. Flukes are not always visible, only one species, Neobenedenia, causes cloudy eyes. Scratching is the first symptom, and then, the fish may start breathing faster, and develop a sort of "tattered" look.

Depending on how long the fish has been scratching, you may want to wait to see what develops 9more ich spots or more signs of flukes) as they have two different treatments....copper for ich and prazipro for flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

How long has the tang been scratching?
How long did it have the spot?

Scratching is more often a symptom of flukes than of ich. Flukes are not always visible, only one species, Neobenedenia, causes cloudy eyes. Scratching is the first symptom, and then, the fish may start breathing faster, and develop a sort of "tattered" look.

Depending on how long the fish has been scratching, you may want to wait to see what develops 9more ich spots or more signs of flukes) as they have two different treatments....copper for ich and prazipro for flukes.

Jay
He just started scratching today and the spot also appeared today

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just started scratching today and the spot also appeared today

I would definitely give it some more time then. Flukes take quite some time (weeks) to be fatal and ich, well, that will show new spots before it gets serious. I just don't want to suggest a treatment that isn't needed, or goes in the wrong direction. You will of course need to keep a close eye on the fish.

You can be proactive now and decide what you'll do if it is ich (treatment tank, hyposalinity, TTM, etc.) and you might consider getting some Prazipro, or at least figure out where you can buy some.

jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely give it some more time then. Flukes take quite some time (weeks) to be fatal and ich, well, that will show new spots before it gets serious. I just don't want to suggest a treatment that isn't needed, or goes in the wrong direction. You will of course need to keep a close eye on the fish.

You can be proactive now and decide what you'll do if it is ich (treatment tank, hyposalinity, TTM, etc.) and you might consider getting some Prazipro, or at least figure out where you can buy some.

jay
The thing is I'm not really sure if it is ich because I just treated my tank for a month and a week with coppersafe.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is I'm not really sure if it is ich because I just treated my tank for a month and a week with coppersafe.
Unlikely to be ich, unless there was some break in your biosecurity - moving a new fish or invertebrate into the tank, something like that.

jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely to be ich, unless there was some break in your biosecurity - moving a new fish or invertebrate into the tank, something like that.

jay
Well I did get a new fish yesterday but it was acting normal and as soon as i put it in it started to eat and it did not show any signs of ich or other diseases

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did get a new fish yesterday but it was acting normal and as soon as i put it in it started to eat and it did not show any signs of ich or other diseases
While adding a new fish without quarantine is risky, it won’t give your fish ich that quickly, there is more of a lag time for that.
Jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While adding a new fish without quarantine is risky, it won’t give your fish ich that quickly, there is more of a lag time for that.
Jay
I've been keeping a close eye on him and he is not scratching anymore but the spot is still on his face. And no more have popped up on him

Attachments

• 20211231_140507.jpg
    20211231_140507.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
I think he does have flukes or something because his upper lip is white

20220106_105010.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he does have flukes or something because his upper lip is white

20220106_105010.jpg
Do you mean the teeth? The "lips" are that dark gray area above and below the mouth. The white line just below the upper lip are its teeth. Those normally don't stand out like that, could it have scraped its teeth on a net or something?

Jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the teeth? The "lips" are that dark gray area above and below the mouth. The white line just below the upper lip are its teeth. Those normally don't stand out like that, could it have scraped its teeth on a net or something?

Jay
I think he did but he never bumps into to anything. He doesn't graze on the rocks either but he does eat pellets nori and shrimp. The only other thing he does is if my other tang gets way to close he nips them once but not hard enough to cause damage and the other tang doesn't fight back

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
He was doing fine today but now he just died out of nowhere but before I throw the fish away I'm gonna put in if freshwater to see if his was flukes that killed him. There was nothing in the freshwater so I'm just gonna keep very close eye on my other fish and if I notice any twitching or anything out of the ordinary I'm gonna put medicine for them

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was doing fine today but now he just died out of nowhere but before I throw the fish away I'm gonna put in if freshwater to see if his was flukes that killed him. There was nothing in the freshwater so I'm just gonna keep very close eye on my other fish and if I notice any twitching or anything out of the ordinary I'm gonna put medicine for them

Sorry to hear. Yes - we do that with our unknown losses also. However, not all flukes are visible to the naked eye. If you don't have a microscope, try a magnifying glass at least.

Jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Yes - we do that with our unknown losses also. However, not all flukes are visible to the naked eye. If you don't have a microscope, try a magnifying glass at least.

Jay
One more thing I want to ask is what type of bacteria for parasite is this on my lavender tang so I can start treating it with the right medicine this tang is my most active fish

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-131739_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-131739_Gallery.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 34

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing I want to ask is what type of bacteria for parasite is this on my lavender tang so I can start treating it with the right medicine this tang is my most active fish

Is the lesion just on the tang's right side, or is there a similar mark on its left side as well?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just on the right side

Ahh, then that rules out head and lateral line erosion.

A secondary bacterial infection from an injury would be the next diagnosis.
How long has this been there, and is it growing larger over time?
Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the lesion just on the tang's right side, or is there a similar mark on its left side as well?
It was smaller yesterday so it got bigger and it had been there for about 3 days I think. I do still have my old 10 gallon tank that is still running but I dont use it for anything

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, then that rules out head and lateral line erosion.

A secondary bacterial infection from an injury would be the next diagnosis.
How long has this been there, and is it growing larger over time?
Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay
Is it a disease or infection

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%

Back