Choosing my first corals

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 5 gallon tall pico tank, I am about to put in some corals, but I am not completely sure which ones I should start out with. This is my first reef tank and I am a complete beginner so I researched a bit and decided that soft corals would probably be the best to start out with.

My current list of potential corals are: Zoanthids, Clove Polyps, Discosomas, Candy Canes, Toadstools, Kenya Trees, Green Star Polyps, and Xenia (These last two I am not so sure of because of their rapid growth)

How many corals do you think I should start with and which ones would you recommend? Feel free to recommend me a coral that isn't on my list as well.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with soft corals myself, and skip xenia for the time being (it just spreads too quickly). Green star polyps are fine but you need to isolate these for the same reason. For your size of tank I would look at zoas/palys, mushrooms, acans, blastos and other small corals.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 5 gallon tall pico tank, I am about to put in some corals, but I am not completely sure which ones I should start out with. This is my first reef tank and I am a complete beginner so I researched a bit and decided that soft corals would probably be the best to start out with.

My current list of potential corals are: Zoanthids, Clove Polyps, Discosomas, Candy Canes, Toadstools, Kenya Trees, Green Star Polyps, and Xenia (These last two I am not so sure of because of their rapid growth)

How many corals do you think I should start with and which ones would you recommend? Feel free to recommend me a coral that isn't on my list as well.
I’d stay away from zenia, clove polyps and gsp because they could easily overcome a small tank. Zoas are great. Mushrooms are easy but they grow fast too. Candy cane or trumpet coral are easy too but also get get pretty big. Same with Kenya. Super easy but grow fast. Soft corals can be pruned back which helps. Once you know more you could add some hardy LPS like acans or favia. Favia grows pretty slow. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with soft corals myself, and skip xenia for the time being (it just spreads too quickly). Green star polyps are fine but you need to isolate these for the same reason. For your size of tank I would look at zoas/palys, mushrooms, acans, blastos and other small corals.
How many corals do you think I should start with and what inverts do you think would be suitable for my tank?

OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d stay away from zenia, clove polyps and gsp because they could easily overcome a small tank. Zoas are great. Mushrooms are easy but they grow fast too. Candy cane or trumpet coral are easy too but also get get pretty big. Same with Kenya. Super easy but grow fast. Soft corals can be pruned back which helps. Once you know more you could add some hardy LPS like acans or favia. Favia grows pretty slow. Hope this helps!
How many corals do you think I should start with and what inverts do you think would be suitable for my tank?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally stay away from everything you listed other than zoas and maybe the candy canes.

Most of them grow or spread very rapidly and you dont have much real estate to work with. In a year a healthy toadstool can shade half the tank. In 3 years or less it can essentially be the tank.

Again just my opinion but i would do something like cyphastrea or leptastrea or other encruster on back wall(also a fast grower but easily kept to back wall where it bot competing for space) and stuff like acans or other relatively slow growers in the tank. Fast growing softies just fill a tank quick and without a lot of maintenance usually just 1 or 2 dominate and crowd out everything else.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for zoas here -- I'm fairly new to soft corals and all of mine are doing well.
5 gallons isn't much volume though so maybe post a pic of your tank and some may offer ideas on what to potentially put where.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-4 small frags initially. In terms of inverts, probably a few snails like trochus and ring cowries and maybe a small scarlet or blue leg hermit crab.

OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for zoas here -- I'm fairly new to soft corals and all of mine are doing well.
5 gallons isn't much volume though so maybe post a pic of your tank and some may offer ideas on what to potentially put where.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 36

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%

Back