Chrato

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a Kessel H80 grow cheato?
Never tried to grow it before and we want to in the new tank.
We eventually will switch to the Neptune Grow but not ready to purchase that just yet.

Help is greatly appreciated.
Happy reefing everyone.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the neptune gro with great success. You need to wait a bit before adding chaeto to a tank. New tanks don't do well with it. I started at 6 months.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's a new tank build but I'm taking everything from our 180 gallon and 100 gallon and putting them in this one. The 180 has been running total of 7 years. The 100 has been running for about 4 years, 9 months since the reboot.
Still think I should wait. It will be fairly heavily stocked well at least I think so.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our goal is to not have to constantly change so much water to keep No3 under control. This will be a mixed reef now. Trying to go sps dominant though.
If your moving existing stuff then the wait period is not applicable. In my opinion unless you have a way oversized refugium they do not do a significant amount of nutrients control for you. I use mine more for PH balance running lights opposite the DT. It does reduce some nitrates but I dose PNS probio also which is a natural bacteria supplement that reduces nitrates also. I stay consistent now around 10ppm.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will be running this opposite of the display. Should help with ph but this is also for housing pods and such for a constant food suppy.
Thank you for the help I will probably be in touch to see about help controlling the nitrates if needed.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will be running this opposite of the display. Should help with ph but this is also for housing pods and such for a constant food suppy.
Thank you for the help I will probably be in touch to see about help controlling the nitrates if needed.
Again though unless you are running a really oversized fuge don't expect nutrrient export miracles. Just sharing my experience. As far as pods, yes they like the fuge to but certainly not enough of a farm to keep the DT stocked up with pod eating fish. My wrasses ate em all.

Good luck with your new set up.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Not sure what oversized would be but this one is roughly 22 gallons of water. I was going to put about an inch or rock rubble in the bottom.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Not sure what oversized would be but this one is roughly 22 gallons of water. I was going to put about an inch or rock rubble in the bottom.
I have rubble in mine. I think to be really effective maybe 1/3 of the tank size to really naturally control nutrients export and create the pod population you want. Here is mine which is small but grows cheato like crazy.

Attachments

• 20220313_090401.jpg
    20220313_090401.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pod population is decent in the sump now I just thought this would populate better.
Nice job on yours.
If it doesn't work I'm going to use this area for our clown fry and see if I can get them growing. What light do you have?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pod population is decent in the sump now I just thought this would populate better.
Nice job on yours.
If it doesn't work I'm going to use this area for our clown fry and see if I can get them growing. What light do you have?
Neptune gro which I highly recommend but may be to small for your 22g

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back