Chris’ 120g Mixed Reef

Tank is still doing great! I’ve added another torch (Knicks) to my little Euphyllia garden on the side of the tank and I’m considering adding a kessil A160 as a blue spotlight to make the torches colors pop a bit more. Holy grail or banana torch is on my list for Santa :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: .

I also started dosing silicates to support the addition of a new linckia star and I have added some ornamental sponges. Both star and sponges seem to be doing well!

Added a couple molly miller blennies in an attempt to deal with aiptasia. I haven’t seen them eating any yet, but time will tell if they can help…

My switch to NaOH as my alkalinity part has succeeded in bringing up my pH and I am running consistently in the 8.3-8.5 range. This has really accelerated the growth of my SPS and increased alkalinity/calcium consumption by more than 50%! I have never experienced this kind of growth, and it is incredibly satisfying.

After 9 years in the hobby, I think I finally have it figured out! Lately it seems like I can drop just about anything into the tank, and it will thrive without intervention. Its a really good feeling and not one I have always been familiar with.

In other news, we have a new addition to the family! My son was born on November 5th! I am committed to not allowing my tank to decline as I did after my daughter was born. Over the past year I have automated just about everything I can, and I think this will help significantly.

I also started a new job after being unemployed for the last 10 months when I was laid off from Pfizer. I am now the chemistry, manufacturing, and controls program lead at an Australian pharmaceutical company working on theranostic nuclear medicine for cancer treatment. Its a dream job and I’m so fortunate to have the opportunity to contribute in this ground breaking and promising new field.

Yes, life is pretty good! Just waiting for the other shoe to drop… :face-with-tears-of-joy:

FTS:
IMG_6187.jpeg


My Euphyllia garden:
IMG_6190.jpeg


Some coral growth shots. Really happy with the way my monti is starting to plate out!
IMG_6196.jpeg

IMG_6195.jpeg


New star fish lounging on my heater bracket. Super chill…
IMG_6073.jpeg


Our new pride and joy, Liam :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
IMG_4116.jpeg
 
Tank is still doing great! I’ve added another torch (Knicks) to my little Euphyllia garden on the side of the tank and I’m considering adding a kessil A160 as a blue spotlight to make the torches colors pop a bit more. Holy grail or banana torch is on my list for Santa :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: .

I also started dosing silicates to support the addition of a new linckia star and I have added some ornamental sponges. Both star and sponges seem to be doing well!

Added a couple molly miller blennies in an attempt to deal with aiptasia. I haven’t seen them eating any yet, but time will tell if they can help…

My switch to NaOH as my alkalinity part has succeeded in bringing up my pH and I am running consistently in the 8.3-8.5 range. This has really accelerated the growth of my SPS and increased alkalinity/calcium consumption by more than 50%! I have never experienced this kind of growth, and it is incredibly satisfying.

After 9 years in the hobby, I think I finally have it figured out! Lately it seems like I can drop just about anything into the tank, and it will thrive without intervention. Its a really good feeling and not one I have always been familiar with.

In other news, we have a new addition to the family! My son was born on November 5th! I am committed to not allowing my tank to decline as I did after my daughter was born. Over the past year I have automated just about everything I can, and I think this will help significantly.

I also started a new job after being unemployed for the last 10 months when I was laid off from Pfizer. I am now the chemistry, manufacturing, and controls program lead at an Australian pharmaceutical company working on theranostic nuclear medicine for cancer treatment. Its a dream job and I’m so fortunate to have the opportunity to contribute in this ground breaking and promising new field.

Yes, life is pretty good! Just waiting for the other shoe to drop… :face-with-tears-of-joy:

FTS:
IMG_6187.jpeg


My Euphyllia garden:
IMG_6190.jpeg


Some coral growth shots. Really happy with the way my monti is starting to plate out!
IMG_6196.jpeg

IMG_6195.jpeg


New star fish lounging on my heater bracket. Super chill…
IMG_6073.jpeg


Our new pride and joy, Liam :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
IMG_4116.jpeg
Congrats on your new son and Job, Chris! That's awesome. I am so happy for you! And your tank is looking great!
 
It has been a whirlwind few months with the new job and baby, but my grand scheme to automate the system during my “gap” year is paying dividends! Tank is still looking great and corals are growing like weeds. All with minimal intervention other than feeding! It truly is the best it has ever been in my nearly 10 year journey. Happy reefing!

IMG_6480.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new