Chromis acting up

coconutkilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby.. I absolutely love it and enjoy it, but it's so difficult.

So this time it's one of my chromis. I have 3 total. Well.. 2 now. This morning, tank parameters were normal, all fish were eating. But one of the chromis today started to seem aggressive towards the other chromis. Okay.. I'll just keep watching him. So I go to feed them a snack tonight and one of the chromis was laying on the sand.. already being eaten by the happy snails and crabs. :(

So now here's another catch, the other chromis had white stringy poop. And from my last week's post, my clownfish had white stringy poop and he's back to normal and feeling good. The chromis is still being a bit aggressive and chasing the other chromis that's left. And he's eating normal.

At this point, I'm thinking the stringy white poop was just mucus build up because I was only feeding them frozen mysis but have now started formula one flakes and pellets. I provided a photo and small clip for the stringy poop. Does it look like excess mucus or should I dose the DT with rally reef pro? (2 clowns, 1 hippo, 2 chromis) I have my QT tank set up from before but I'm leaving this weekend so I can't monitor them all closely.

Screenshot_20230831_204527_Gallery.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This hobby.. I absolutely love it and enjoy it, but it's so difficult.

So this time it's one of my chromis. I have 3 total. Well.. 2 now. This morning, tank parameters were normal, all fish were eating. But one of the chromis today started to seem aggressive towards the other chromis. Okay.. I'll just keep watching him. So I go to feed them a snack tonight and one of the chromis was laying on the sand.. already being eaten by the happy snails and crabs. :(

So now here's another catch, the other chromis had white stringy poop. And from my last week's post, my clownfish had white stringy poop and he's back to normal and feeling good. The chromis is still being a bit aggressive and chasing the other chromis that's left. And he's eating normal.

At this point, I'm thinking the stringy white poop was just mucus build up because I was only feeding them frozen mysis but have now started formula one flakes and pellets. I provided a photo and small clip for the stringy poop. Does it look like excess mucus or should I dose the DT with rally reef pro? (2 clowns, 1 hippo, 2 chromis) I have my QT tank set up from before but I'm leaving this weekend so I can't monitor them all closely.

Screenshot_20230831_204527_Gallery.jpg

before reacting, often white poop is from excess mucus in the stomach lining and often triggered by types of food fed especially mysis shrimp. If this is the case, change it up by offering TDO pellets and LRS fish Frenzy as example and you should see a color and consistency change. It wont happen overnight. The fish look good in video especially body mass. Often they have a pinched belly with internal issues

OP
OP
C

coconutkilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before reacting, often white poop is from excess mucus in the stomach lining and often triggered by types of food fed especially mysis shrimp. If this is the case, change it up by offering TDO pellets and LRS fish Frenzy as example and you should see a color and consistency change. It wont happen overnight. The fish look good in video especially body mass. Often they have a pinched belly with internal issues
So I'm guessing he was being rude and just attacked his buddy then :/

Thanks for the quick response!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Which does happen - Aggression is the term

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, but they are jerks, good the’re so
I had 3 four yrs ago or so, Lost 1 to bullying and not sure last, the bully died. I’ve used Rally Reef Pro last ich outbreak 7 or 8 yrs ago in DT tank from iun-Quarantined fish. We didn’t take him out to treat, died, no other fish affected. Just FYI: Vetteguy recommended frozen LRF. I read that the first Yellow Tangs were breed in Hawaii when they started feeding with this. I was at Franks Tanks (aiptasha guy) to buy it in Fort Worth,Tx and Larry called Frank, he put me on the phone and said he really does meet the boat at the dock and process the seaweeds,shrimps,scallops etc and flash freezes asap! Nice Guy!!!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 77.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back