Chromis Prone to Heart Attacks or Sudden Death?

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Barrier Reef Chromis living alone in a 40g AIO for about 3 months because the fish from my LFS never seem to survive more than a week or two.

Today, I got in a shipment of captive-breds and added three young and nowhere near full-grown fish: a Purple Firefish, an Azure Damsel, and a Royal Gramma. Together they mass about 3/4 of the Chromis.

I left the lights off most of the day so everybody could rest and acclimate. The Chromis chased everybody around a bit and then the new trio staked out a corner and the Chromis mostly left them alone.

Then, just about an hour ago, the Chromis went berserk. It started smacking into the tank glass, acting like it couldn't breathe, tried to jump out several times, and then just went belly-up. It's gone.

I have never seen the like.

I immediately tested the parameters, adding in the Ammonia test just in case, and there was no Ammonia and no other significant changes.

Literally the only thing that changed was the addition of three very small fish. Literally the only thing in the tank looking or acting distressed was the Chromis.

It was eating earlier and seemingly doing just fine. Did it have a heart attack or something?

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please list test parameters.

Did you quarantine the new fish?

Any signs of disease on the new fish?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a pic of the tank?
If fish don't survive more than a week or two in your tank, there is something wrong. Lets see the tank and lets help you out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Barrier Reef Chromis living alone in a 40g AIO for about 3 months because the fish from my LFS never seem to survive more than a week or two.

Today, I got in a shipment of captive-breds and added three young and nowhere near full-grown fish: a Purple Firefish, an Azure Damsel, and a Royal Gramma. Together they mass about 3/4 of the Chromis.

I left the lights off most of the day so everybody could rest and acclimate. The Chromis chased everybody around a bit and then the new trio staked out a corner and the Chromis mostly left them alone.

Then, just about an hour ago, the Chromis went berserk. It started smacking into the tank glass, acting like it couldn't breathe, tried to jump out several times, and then just went belly-up. It's gone.

I have never seen the like.

I immediately tested the parameters, adding in the Ammonia test just in case, and there was no Ammonia and no other significant changes.

Literally the only thing that changed was the addition of three very small fish. Literally the only thing in the tank looking or acting distressed was the Chromis.

It was eating earlier and seemingly doing just fine. Did it have a heart attack or something?

"Sudden Death" can occur in fish that are even sub-clinically stressed in some instances. I don't know if this is a "heart attack" per-se, but the symptoms are just as you saw.

In one case, we were using a barrier net to capture some Heniochus from a 90,000 gallon reef. A few bluestripe snappers got into the net and struggled a bit and then just up and died. The Heniochus were fine. Upon necropsy, the snappers were found to have fatty liver disease.

Jay

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please list test parameters.

Did you quarantine the new fish?

Any signs of disease on the new fish?

1. SG: 1.026, pH: 8.15, Ca: 450, Mag: 1350, Alk: 9.6, Phos: 1, Nit: 10

2. No, but they're from Dr. Reef, so they've already been in quarantine for four weeks and have been treated for disease.

3. No. Also, what disease spreads so fast that it doesn't affect the host fish but kills another fish within hours? That makes no sense.

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a pic of the tank?
If fish don't survive more than a week or two in your tank, there is something wrong. Lets see the tank and lets help you out.

All the fish aren't dying. The Chromis was living alone in the tank for three months.

The fish from a specific LFS are the ones that have been dying. I suspect they're wild-caught because they all seem healthy and they eat just fine, but then go downhill rapidly for no apparent reason.

So I'm giving captive-bred a try and I think that will help with that issue. I just wanna know what happened to the poor Chromis. :crying-face:

IMG_20240524_201245.jpg
IMG_20240524_201209.jpg

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sudden Death" can occur in fish that are even sub-clinically stressed in some instances. I don't know if this is a "heart attack" per-se, but the symptoms are just as you saw.

In one case, we were using a barrier net to capture some Heniochus from a 90,000 gallon reef. A few bluestripe snappers got into the net and struggled a bit and then just up and died. The Heniochus were fine. Upon necropsy, the snappers were found to have fatty liver disease.

Jay
This guy  was a very big eater, so I wonder if he might have had the same problem. And then simply the stress of adding some new companions was enough to send him over the edge.... :thinking-face:

Thanks for the insight! Experience is greatly appreciated. :smiling-face:

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
electrical leak? voltage spikes in the tank?.... ok and then suddenly berserk? Thats the behavior I would expect.

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
electrical leak? voltage spikes in the tank?.... ok and then suddenly berserk? Thats the behavior I would expect.
If that were the case, I would think more than just a single fish would be affected. New fish seem pretty happy and just had breakfast. :smiling-face:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back