Chromis randomly dies

EchoTheOrca20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon saltwater tank. So far I only been able to manage take care of a clownfish and cleaner shrimp. I had a blue chromis for two days and it was doing fine. It was eating and swimming about. But then this morning I checked on it and looked scared. I assumed it was startled. But a few more later hours I came back it was dead.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis aren't the easiest fish to keep. Because they are a damsel, many believe them to be easy and hardy. Actually quite the opposite on both counts is true.
Sorry for your loss though

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are also notorious for coming in with uronemia, a nasty bacterial infection

Last edited:

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis gonna chromi (die). I’ve tried these a few times with a group. Each time they just die one by one. I bought three big healthy ones for $30 a pop about 1.5 years ago. I still have one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There's been an issue the last few months with chromis having uronema. Best is to administer a formalin bath( general cure is acceptable) when you have uronema.
When you bring chromis home, before this can happen, give them a bath in nitrofurazone everyday for 7 days and your new fish will be ich free and no longer giving a chance to suffer from a Uronema infestation bring them home and ultimatey choose the healthiest chromis you can find to further lessen a chance of infection from weak fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 107 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back