chromis w marks on them

exprobratio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got 11 Chromis into my QT a couple months back and 3 had signs of uronema. Treated with food soaked metronidazole and chloroquine which I had on hand and only 4 survived. So ya once there’s sores on the fish it’s probably not going to go well. They are a pretty fish but if I get some more I will prophylactic treat in QT.

OP
OP
clarimore

clarimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RUBY RALLY PRO WOULD WORK
Often affecting chromis and damsels, It is treatable at the point where you have it. You want to treat with formalin based medication. Quick Cure is very effective with this, starting with a 45 minute formalin bath followeed by treatment in a separate quarantine setting. With ruby Rally, you can give a 90 minute bath with aeration and then treat also until signs are gone
If theyre eating , you can soak their food in seachem metroplex for 2 weeks of feedings.
two weeks should be long enough for treatment and no need to go fallow in display tank
I have enrolled of saltwater made, I'll set up a dif tank in a total and get the pro rally done, then in clean fresh saltwater till tomorrow

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chromis show a spot that was almost identical to that and I assumed it was uronema amd he was a goner. I would treat if you can but mine healed, weather it was a mark from netting during ttm he was in or not I will never know but he has been in my display with another chromis and many other fish for over a year now with no signs again ever.
The two chromis I have are inseparable and huge now but I started with 4 originally.
Just some things to consider.
Here's him in qt with the wound and now

Attachments

• 20220317_120547.jpg
    20220317_120547.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210409_101418.jpg
    20210409_101418.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 20

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
what do I do w the blenny?
Leave blenny in tank. There is no exposure risk as Uronema is a ciliate parasite (which means it has a direct life cycle which lives, feeds and reproduces directly on infected fish and has no encysted stage like ich does

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Treat him the same as the chromis, as he has been exposed.
Exposed to what ? This is not a cyst and it has no life cycle like ich and velvet does , why it develops as a sore rather than infestation

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do I treat/ fix my qt tank, pumps, tools, heater, powerheads??
If you treat in tank with metro for several weeks that should take care of everything. I strongly advise not listening to the idea that the blenny can be left alone. Uronema can spread. Why risk it?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If you treat in tank with metro for several weeks that should take care of everything. I strongly advise not listening to the idea that the blenny can be left alone. Uronema can spread. Why risk it?
You said fish can die quickly and now you saying several weeks?
After treatment, Metro can be soaked with foods to assure fish is clean. Its obvious youre reading humblefish remedy and not by experience.
This person is trying to save/treat her fish and I can imagine confused at this point. Formalin treatment is the cure and has been and works effectively. After 38 years of reefing- Blenny CAN be left alone.
Not trying to be rude, but this is Not protocol for treatment

OP
OP
clarimore

clarimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that the qt is drained and the fish are in a new qt, I'll just move him

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back