Chromis with growth on mouth

mmbaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a cycled tank that’s reasonably new (second hand equipment, relocated and set up with orig sand and live rock etc, re-cycled).

I introduced three Green Chromis about 3 weeks ago. One of them is showing a small growth on its lower lip that I noticed today. The same is not present on the other two Chromis.

Incidentally, two of them are also showing scale damage, I assume that’s from scrapes with the rocks, I’ve noticed that they sleep in a very small gap between the back wall and a rock.

Any thoughts based on this photo?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_3221.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a cycled tank that’s reasonably new (second hand equipment, relocated and set up with orig sand and live rock etc, re-cycled).

I introduced three Green Chromis about 3 weeks ago. One of them is showing a small growth on its lower lip that I noticed today. The same is not present on the other two Chromis.

Incidentally, two of them are also showing scale damage, I assume that’s from scrapes with the rocks, I’ve noticed that they sleep in a very small gap between the back wall and a rock.

Any thoughts based on this photo?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_3221.jpeg

Remember - the natural history of this species is to sleep in sharp coral crevices, so also doing that in your aquarium will not cause significant scale damage. Both the mouth issue and the scale damage can be attributed to fighting. Green chromis are odd in that they are a "schooling fish", but in small groups, they tend to fight. What other fish are in with them?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, only a single yellow watchman goby in the tank (plus a couple of BTA).
Could it have run into a BTA?

Jay

OP
OP
mmbaba

mmbaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s certainly possible, but I’m not surehow that would cause scale damage and the growth damage on it’s lower jaw.

I was just checking in here to see if that was a symptom of a common disease that I need to be aware of…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back