Toby Infection

puffpuffpuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my little 30 gallon cube running for about 4 years. Nitrates are near zero and salinity is 1.026.
I put this little spotted Toby in about 3 weeks ago, along with a bicolor blenny. No other inhabitants.
He looked great when I picked him up; round and colorful. I've been feeding him pellets, daphnia, clams and shrimp.
His symptoms started with small patches of discoloration - whiteness. Not like ich, nothing on him, just discoloration. And althoigh he's eating well, looking thinner.
I put in methylene blue and prazi and turned the heat up to 80.
He got worse over the next week, laying on the bottom, almost white. Still eating.
Did one treatment of sulfaplex. No change.
Today he's still super discolored but I noticed he was up and swimming with his tail fanned out so I got excited that maybe he was on the mend. But then I looked closer - his whole lip is gone off the top of his beak. I feel awful for him and have no idea what to do. Any ideas?

*I put more methylene blue in the water hence the blue pictures, sorry.
20240428_132333.jpg 20240428_132835.jpg Snapchat-116479226.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
puffpuffpuff Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had my little 30 gallon cube running for about 4 years. Nitrates are near zero and salinity is 1.026.
I put this little spotted Toby in about 3 weeks ago, along with a bicolor blenny. No other inhabitants.
He looked great when I picked him up; round and colorful. I've been feeding him pellets, daphnia, clams and shrimp.
His symptoms started with small patches of discoloration - whiteness. Not like ich, nothing on him, just discoloration. And althoigh he's eating well, looking thinner.
He got worse over the next week, laying on the bottom, almost white. Still eating.
Today he's still super discolored but I noticed he was up and swimming with his tail fanned out so I got excited that maybe he was on the mend. But then I looked closer - his whole lip is gone off the top of his beak. I feel awful for him and have no idea what to do. Any ideas?

You dont want to use Methelyne, best left for freshwater use and mix it with prazi which contains Glycol. Prazi is best for worm treatment and I dont hear signs from you suggesting a fluke issue.
The pics are dark and need to be posted under white light intensity for clear assessment and preliminarily and am pointing to a bacterial issue

OP
OP
P

puffpuffpuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont want to use Methelyne, best left for freshwater use and mix it with prazi which contains Glycol. Prazi is best for worm treatment and I dont hear signs from you suggesting a fluke issue.
The pics are dark and need to be posted under white light intensity for clear assessment and preliminarily and am pointing to a bacterial issue
OK when it clears up I'll get better pics.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The puffer is pretty thin and seems to have a systemic bacterial infection. Is it still eating?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back