Chrysophytes? ID help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Texasreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Texasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2024
Messages
58
Reaction score
51
Location
houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

Currently have had this algae bloom along side a little bit of Cyano in the tank. It’s a nano 20g mixed reef. Corals are doing great as well as the few fish. I know for a fact I’ve got Cyano in small patches however have also got this (stringy like brown goo) growing on rock and sand bed. I’ve posted some pics of this under a microscope, any help would be great as well as a treatment. Cells do not move at all.

I’ve been out of hobby for 8 years & have stopped chasing #s.. only thing I test for is nitrate (7.0). UV on 24/7, filter floss and sponge for filtration. Weekly 10% water changes. Lights on 8HR period. Everything seems happy from lps-SPS but this dang stringy stuff start growing on the corals and everywhere. I feed 2X day & red sea A&B 2X weekly. Started dosing microbac-7 twice a week to possibly help out compete this algae

It doesn’t look like GHA it’s more slimy and brown possibly Chrysophytes? (Last photo stolen from previous post but the exact same as in my tank

​


F3087471-5C12-468B-9939-1C8C9ED0ADE2.jpeg BE971D44-0BF1-47A0-B34B-0D0DBF893828.jpeg B5025982-2807-48CB-A845-4FD51AFDB8A9.jpeg
 
I agree, these photos are characteristic of chrysophytes
 
Did you ever figure out anything? Currently having the same thing in my tank
 
Did you ever figure out anything? Currently having the same thing in my tank
I did flucanazol to get rid of a bit of green hair algae & it seemed to help out the chrysopphytes as well. I manually removed as much as possible with a tooth brush and changed filter floss every day. It’s been about to weeks and 90% of it is gone and has not came back. I also upped by nutrients.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new