Status
Not open for further replies.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three affected corals out of about 50 corals in my tank. Two of the affected corals are new additions. I wouldn’t call that “so many different corals in [my] tank”. Again, if you are not able to be friendly and nonjudgemental, please take your comments elsewhere. Thank you.
The only times ive gotten bjd is from mechanical damage due to shipping or mishandling.
Fwiw, I Believe the bacteria is always present in my tank, waiting for an opportunity to infect a wound.
Just saying, not sure qting would help with bjd, but it is good practice.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three affected corals out of about 50 corals in my tank. Two of the affected corals are new additions. I wouldn’t call that “so many different corals in [my] tank”. Again, if you are not able to be friendly and nonjudgemental, please take your comments elsewhere. Thank you.
You did not provide that info in your original post, nor did you say these were new additions, in fact not much info provided at all, except that you repeatedly tried something without result.

I'm just trying to provide my 2 cents to help, sometimes I am able to help sometimes not. Sorry it did not sound friendly enough for you

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no torches affected. I never said anything about torches or retracted polyps.

My mistakes I forgot you specified your galaxea, your goni, and your plate coral.

Generally retracted polyps is the first sign of BJD, so I assumed you would have seen that.

Could we please see the corals in question? Without photos we can only speculate.

Your parameters, for what it's worth, are in a good range if stable.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, ciprofloaxin dosing is every other day for 6 days so 3 total doses but you need to dose at night after lights out and remove carbon. Skimmer can stay on. This has worked for me previously. Your numbers are good so it is possible a new coral developed it during shipping and brought it into your system as you stated.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You did not provide that info in your original post, nor did you say these were new additions, in fact not much info provided at all, except that you repeatedly tried something without result.

I'm just trying to provide my 2 cents to help, sometimes I am able to help sometimes not. Sorry it did not sound friendly enough for you
Instead of making assumptions, please just ask clarifying questions to get the information you need to provide useful and informed advice. We don’t always think of all of the pertinent information to provide, but I’m trying my best. I’ve clarified in another post what I meant by repeated doses, which is that I didn’t just dose once but completed one week of dosing. I did not repeatedly dose for weeks. Unfortunately, I don’t think our continued communications are helpful here, as it’s feeling somewhat hostile. Thank you.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You are correct, ciprofloaxin dosing is every other day for 6 days so 3 total doses but you need to dose at night after lights out and remove carbon. Skimmer can stay on. This has worked for me previously. Your numbers are good so it is possible a new coral developed it during shipping and brought it into your system as you stated.
I did dose at night with lights out, as stated in the original post. No carbon was used. Skimmer stayed on but with cup removed.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of making assumptions, please just ask clarifying questions to get the information you need to provide useful and informed advice. We don’t always think of all of the pertinent information to provide, but I’m trying my best. Unfortunately, I don’t think our continued communications are helpful here, as it’s feeling somewhat hostile. Thank you.
I think your the hostile one here dude

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think your the hostile one here dude
I was very polite to you and asked you to please ask clarifying questions. I don’t think anything I’ve said has been hostile. I’ve respectfully stated that I don’t think our continued communications are helpful here and you’re continuing to argue, so I would really appreciate it if you could please stop commenting. I’m not being hostile. I’m really just not interested in arguing. Thank you for your respect in discontinuing your comments.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did dose at night with lights out, as stated in the original post. No carbon was used. Skimmer stayed on but with cup removed.
Did you ever post any pics of the affected corals or did they die quick? BJD has a very pungent odor and obvious jelly like substance in the coral skeletal head.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Did you ever post any pics of the affected corals or did they die quick? BJD has a very pungent odor and obvious jelly like substance in the coral skeletal head.
I haven’t posted photos yet. I did a hydrogen peroxide dip last night, and I'm not seeing any jelly today. If it returns, I will take some photos under white light and post. The corals have not died, but they’ve lost a lot of tissue. The affected corals are not branching corals, so I am unable to frag off dead heads.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My mistakes I forgot you specified your galaxea, your goni, and your plate coral.

Generally retracted polyps is the first sign of BJD, so I assumed you would have seen that.

Could we please see the corals in question? Without photos we can only speculate.

Your parameters, for what it's worth, are in a good range if stable.
The corals are not showing jelly right now, as I did a hydrogen peroxide dip last night. I will post photos if the jelly comes back. I did not see much retracted polyps, maybe a but on the goni. I saw brown jelly like substance on the coral and tissue loss.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t posted photos yet. I did a hydrogen peroxide dip last night, and I'm not seeing any jelly today. If it returns, I will take some photos under white light and post. The corals have not died, but they’ve lost a lot of tissue. The affected corals are not branching corals, so I am unable to frag off dead heads.
Did they have a very distinct strong pungent odor?

Dominic Sakon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I assume is bjd in my tank. It’s effected 3 lps corals so far, a Goni, a plate, and a Galaxea. I’ve done repeated in tank treatments with Cipro 500 mg pills dissolved in 50 ml rodi, dosed at varying doses based on posts on here and multiple coral baths with Cipro. But it keeps coming back. Cipro pills are not expired. Dosing at night when display lights are off. I make sure that uv and algae lights are off before dosing and skimmer cup is removed. Any suggestions for alternative treatments or if this could be something that looks like bjd but is something else? I’ve already lost a bunch of tissue from the three corals. I’ll try to get some pictures tomorrow when lights are back on. I’ve had success with treating bjd on a hammer in the past. Lost a few heads but was able to successfully save the remaining heads with Cipro. Don’t know why it’s not working this time around. It’s possible that the bacteria are antibiotic-resistant. As a side benefit, it did kill off cyano I had in the sand and on some rocks, so it’s doing something, just not eliminating the bjd that’s killing my 3 corals. Been treating for a week+.

I understand that the use of antibiotics in the hobby is a very heated topic. I would like this thread not to turn into a debate on the use of antibiotics in the hobby. I would just really appreciate any friendly advice on how I could potentially save my corals.

Thanks for your help.
Kfc dip is the only method I have ever had work for what appeared to be "BJD" in a torch I saved from someone else.

LoneWolfReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m responding to subscribe to this thread and give some input as to what I’m going through at the moment.

I just lost a 20+ head dragon soul torch colony over the last couple days minus a few heads I was able to frag. It started on a weak head that was shaded and has been struggling for a while. I planned on fragging that head plus a few others for the last couple months but never got around to it. Big ouch.

I followed up dosing cipro @ 1.2mg per gallon daily for 10 days which has worked before when I lost multiple acropora colonies 9 months ago to bjd. Unfortunately it has moved on to an otherwise healthy octospawn colony. Hopefully it doesn’t keep spreading now that the tank has received a few doses of cipro. I haven’t fragged the infected head yet. If I don’t get around to it tonight we’ll see what it looks like in the morning.

I have to say all these bjd flare ups are really starting to become exhausting.. Especially when triggered by seemingly minor issues in an otherwise healthy tank.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I’m responding to subscribe to this thread and give some input as to what I’m going through at the moment.

I just lost a 20+ head dragon soul torch colony over the last couple days minus a few heads I was able to frag. It started on a weak head that was shaded and has been struggling for a while. I planned on fragging that head plus a few others for the last couple months but never got around to it. Big ouch.

I followed up dosing cipro @ 1.2mg per gallon daily for 10 days which has worked before when I lost multiple acropora colonies 9 months ago to bjd. Unfortunately it has moved on to an otherwise healthy octospawn colony. Hopefully it doesn’t keep spreading now that the tank has received a few doses of cipro. I haven’t fragged the infected head yet. If I don’t get around to it tonight we’ll see what it looks like in the morning.

I have to say all these bjd flare ups are really starting to become exhausting.. Especially when triggered by seemingly minor issues in an otherwise healthy tank.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope we can both can save our corals from this. It’s definitely very frustrating and exhausting. Wishing you the best.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'll chime in against my own advice. A lot of people talk about antimicrobial resistance (AMR) with presumably little knowledge of how AMR emerges, becomes prevalent in a population or actually even works -- especially in an aquarium. Unless I'm mistaken and reefing is a hot hot hot hobby for AMR researchers. Are there any accounts at all of AMR bacteria observed before or after antibiotic treatment in an aquarium? Hint: "my treatment didn't work" is not evidence of AMR, you should be checking for resistance genes or growing the bacteria on plates with/without antibiotics. Likewise, what does the literature say about AMR resulting from wastewater containing flushed/drained antibiotics? My light reading didn't turn up much and mostly focused on wastewater from hospitals, not the magnitudes lower amounts of antibiotics flushed during an aquarium water change. Maybe I'll curry together a few papers later when I'm not too busy with my own lit reviews and R2R posts. Until evidence is presented that antibiotic treatment in an aquarium results in the emergence and spread of AMR, this should not be a deterrence from using them to save your tank animals when treatable symptoms are observed. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise if someone has good references.

TL;DR: take the anitbiotics resistance comments with a heap of salt unless they back it up with data.

Seems that the FDA disagrees with you.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just a quick update on this thread. It’s been a while, and the Goniopora and Galaxea seem to be in the clear. They both lost some tissue, but that should heal in time. The plate did not make it. It kept getting covered in something brown, potentially bjd or algae, so it was removed and disposed of to prevent any potential spread. There was already a significant amount of tissue loss that did not appear to be recoverable.

Thanks for everyone’s help. Seems the Cipro did work. I just needed to be more patient. I did not utilize any other different antibiotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back