Circuit Breaker & Tank Location

ratm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have been doing a bit of research on setting up my first saltwater tank.

I’m currently watching Bulk Reef Supply 52 weeks of reefering. The location I was looking at setting up my first tank was in my living room along a long empty wall. After watching the episode on electrical problems it dawned on me that I have tripped the breaker a handful of times in my living room area from vacuuming or plugging in a heater.

I also have a 2nd location I could use that is along another empty wall near the kitchen. I’m thinking due to the living room breaker already being tripped before and putting a tank on the same circuit that feeds the kitchen appliances would not a wise idea.

this leads to my question, what is my best option here? I imagine I need to bring a electrician out to help but what exactly should I have done? Do I require a separate circuit installed and wired to the living room to provide just for the tank space?

I don’t want to get a tank smaller than I had been hoping for but I’m sure if a vacuum can trip my breaker a tank certainly will

Thank you any advice is appreciated

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's going to be a lot of considerations that the electrician will need to look at (like do you have capacity at the panel for a new circuit, distance, etc) but I'd suggest going for a dedicated circuit for the tank. Depending on the size you have in mind, you may consider two circuits - not only to support the load, but to limit how much equipment goes down if something trips the breaker. Also talk to the electrician about GFCI protection.

OP
OP
R

ratm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's going to be a lot of considerations that the electrician will need to look at (like do you have capacity at the panel for a new circuit, distance, etc) but I'd suggest going for a dedicated circuit for the tank. Depending on the size you have in mind, you may consider two circuits - not only to support the load, but to limit how much equipment goes down if something trips the breaker. Also talk to the electrician about GFCI protection.
Awww that seems the best route really and the safest. Thank you for clarifying.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back