Running RO tubing through floors, walls

Zissou Intern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, reefers. I’m setting up a mixing station in my basement, and I think I have most of the plumbing worked out.

But I’m not sure how to neatly run three 1/4 inch water lines between my tank and the basement. I recall once seeing what looked like a John Guest connector affixed to a wall plate, but now I can’t find it. For my needs, something that comes up from the floor would be even better.

How are other reefers doing this? The tank is in my living room, so I’m looking for a solution that will look neat, clean, and professional. Nearly invisible would be even better.

If there are no good options I’ll probably just drill 1/4 inch holes through the hardwood, but I’d rather avoid drafts in the winter, bugs in the summer, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions. I’m eager to see what others are doing.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you need three lines to run between the two floors? Can you run fewer?

Before you drill into hardwoods, which sometimes is unavoidable, I would consider cutting a small outlet plate-sized hole in the wall behind the tank, and then drill down in between the studs (or up from the basement).

Cover said drywall hole with an outlet plate once complete. You can drill a hole in the plate just big enough to fit the RODI tubing and even spray some spray insulation on the backside if worried about drafts/bugs.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cut a hole in the drywall, drill through the sill plate, run your lines and then figure how you want them to come out of the wall. Could add an access panel and drill through the access panel face. They make spring loaded access panels which can be installed in seconds.

I would highly advise against drilling your hardwood. If you drill a 3/8 for the tubing in the sill plate you won't have a bug or draft issue. Your electrical line holes are already 1/2 or 5/8 atleast and aren't sealed.

Coach v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely go through your wall and framing instead of the floor. A wall is much easier to patch than the floor.

OP
OP
Zissou Intern

Zissou Intern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I had been thinking that it would be a pain to drill through the sill plate. But I agree that would help avoid drafts, etc. I’ll go that direction. Thanks again.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back