First sump plumbing?

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 75g mixed reef without a sump. I’m thinking about getting a bigger tank in the years to come but I also think it might be wise to plumb for a basement sump now and try to get some experience with it before I upgrade the tank.

I think if I get a sump rated for say a 250g that will serve my existing 75g just fine but the question is on the plumbing! How best to run things from the first floor to the basement?

I imagine there’s some sort of generic in wall/ through wall disconnects I can plumb in now? That will work for both tanks now and in the future? How many pipes need to be run? 2? 3? Size???

So many questions!
image.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holes in the floor here but I'm using pvc not flexible hose. I have a 6ft ft 125g DIY sump in the basement. I used to have a 150g and 180g sharing the sump but now only the 180g as I sold the 150. I love being able to stand and work on things vs crawling on the floor. 20240101_124226.jpg

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holes in the floor here but I'm using pvc not flexible hose. I have a 6ft ft 125g DIY sump in the basement. I used to have a 150g and 180g sharing the sump but now only the 180g as I sold the 150. I love being able to stand and work on things vs crawling on the floor.
Thanks - I see two pipes one intake and one return? Do I need more than 2 pipes ? I read somewhere that it’s possible so just trying to plan things out now also what size pipes ? 1/2? 1?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I see two pipes one intake and one return? Do I need more than 2 pipes ? I read somewhere that it’s possible so just trying to plan things out now also what size pipes ? 1/2? 1?

There are so many options and I'm really not qualified to answer. Miss information is worse than no information I always say.
A lot depends on tank size and flow requirements. I'm in the process of designing a 300+ gallon and will be using 3 1.5 inch drains, main, secondary, and emergency with two 1 inch returns. This is just info I gathered looking at build threads and such.

EDIT : on the 180 I posted the image from I have only have 2 drains and a single return but the tank is nit drilled and I'm running HOB overflows.

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone doing PVC in the wall but switching to flex to the tank?

Aumick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely open up the ceiling below. If you are going to do the plumbing in preparation for a larger tank in the future. The pure weight difference from a 75g to a 250g is massive. The floor must be supported properly. I would be more concerned about that then plumbing. You can always set up a huge sump.

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely open up the ceiling below. If you are going to do the plumbing in preparation for a larger tank in the future. The pure weight difference from a 75g to a 250g is massive. The floor must be supported properly. I would be more concerned about that then plumbing. You can always set up a huge sump.
Yes it’s already open and there’s enough floor support

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone doing PVC in the wall but switching to flex to the tank?
I just use flex all the way instead of multiple elbows I think it flows easier. my sump isn't
directly below my tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back