A "can my floor hold it" thread

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know things like this get posted a lot but I was hoping someone might have some expertise. I'm trying to put a 6 foot x2 foot tank in this spot running long ways in the wall.
PXL_20231104_181301835.jpg

This is the first floor of my house but there is a basement below. Unfortunately the room below this one has a finished ceiling so I can't see the joists. In the entire rest of the house they run in the correct direction (perpendicular to the pictured wall) so I suspect they are the same here. The joists are every 16 inches everywhere else so I assume it's the same here. I suspect for a 6 foot tank (probably totalling 200+ gallons) I would need to reinforce the wall, however if I measure the room below this one it is 10 inches shorter. I'm not sure what this means exactly. Here's a picture of the outside wall with the window
PXL_20231104_181404761.jpg

Overall there's 10 inches between the basement wall and the interior of the pictured wall... Is that all foundation? Going to attach a side view sketch to the. Ext post.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my brilliant sketch of the situation:
1699126318277.png

So basically I'm not sure what exactly is in the space below the fist floor between the basement wall and outside... although I know going down from the window is concrete (from looking from the outside).

Last edited:

TheWoos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Post from a similar thread:

Likewise not an engineer but do have one coming on Monday to look at my second floor apartment to provide me with a psf load on certain places around the unit.

There are two things i have learnt so far about "dead load" capacity:

1. The height of the tank essentially determines the pounds per square foot of the tank since the Length and Width changes expand the footprint of the load spread. There are other elements such as materials of the stand, glass thickness e.t.c but the height of the tank with water alters the PSF since it increases the weight over the same surface area. The shallower the tank the safer the load.
2. Placing the tank against/near load bearing walls is the safest course of action if you cant get an engineer out, walls framing your house with gutter edge are 99.9% likely load bearing since they are holding the roof up.

Hope it helps.

Edit: What about getting a Structural Engineer to at least give a factetime consult, may be able to give you better information and wont cost as much as getting one out to your house. You could do measurements for him over the phone and he could give you "best" advice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back