Tank size on 2nd floor

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, another one of these questions... I know but I have a specific spin on this question that I wanted clarification on...

So I have an external wall that I want to put a tank against. Which from my reading is a good thing to do on a 2nd floor. However I also read that your tank should also be perpendicular to floor joists to spread out the load. However, the exterior wall I plan on putting the tank against runs parallel to the joists.

So I'm confused... obviously exterior walls are load bearing but if it runs parallel to the floor joists then what? No good?

Are exterior walls that run parallel to joists not as good with loads than those running perpendicular?

Tank size I'm thinking is 100 gallons.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally there is a plywood subfloor that spans the 2x4’s that will distribute the load across multiple sticks.

I can’t remember the last time I heard of a tank on the second floor, or a piano falling through the ceiling into the room below, but I have read a few dozen threads on here about the possibility of that happening.

Unless you’re talking about a kids treehouse I think your building code should have anticipated a load on the second floor.

Good Morning 90S GIF by Offline Granny!
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

If you were talking 1000 gallons then I would suggest you get an engineer to come reinforce the ceiling in that area.

TheWoos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From another reply i made a moment ago:

Likewise not an engineer but do have one coming on Monday to look at my second floor apartment to provide me with a psf load on certain places around the unit.

There are two things i have learnt so far about "dead load" capacity:

1. The height of the tank essentially determines the pounds per square foot of the tank since the Length and Width changes expand the footprint of the load spread. There are other elements such as materials of the stand, glass thickness e.t.c but the height of the tank with water alters the PSF since it increases the weight over the same surface area. The shallower the tank the safer the load.
2. Placing the tank against/near load bearing walls is the safest course of action if you cant get an engineer out, walls framing your house with gutter edge are 99.9% likely load bearing since they are holding the roof up.

Hope it helps.

Edit: What about getting a Structural Engineer to at least give a factetime consult, may be able to give you better information and wont cost as much as getting one out to your house. You could do measurements for him over the phone and he could give you "best" advice

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, another one of these questions... I know but I have a specific spin on this question that I wanted clarification on...

So I have an external wall that I want to put a tank against. Which from my reading is a good thing to do on a 2nd floor. However I also read that your tank should also be perpendicular to floor joists to spread out the load. However, the exterior wall I plan on putting the tank against runs parallel to the joists.

So I'm confused... obviously exterior walls are load bearing but if it runs parallel to the floor joists then what? No good?

Are exterior walls that run parallel to joists not as good with loads than those running perpendicular?

Tank size I'm thinking is 100 gallons.
Where is the tank sitting in relation to the span of the joists? Is it in the center or towards the end. A sketch or some pictures would be very helpful.

You are correct that the the joists running parallel are not as ideal as perpendicular. The load isn't being distributed as much between multiple joists.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, not all exterior walls are necessarily load bearing. Do you have access to either the crawl space or attic? Rafters are supported by perimeter load bearing walls just as floor joists are. I have a 125 gallon on second floor against a load bearing wall. With 16 inch on center joists, the weight is spread over 5 joists directly.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, not all exterior walls are necessarily load bearing. Do you have access to either the crawl space or attic? Rafters are supported by perimeter load bearing walls just as floor joists are. I have a 125 gallon on second floor against a load bearing wall. With 16 inch on center joists, the weight is spread over 5 joists directly.
I can assure you all exterior walls are load bearing, barring some crazy unique examples. What's important is if your joists are perpendicular or parallel to that exterior wall. This will determine if your floor joists can sufficiently support the load and distribute that load to the load bearing walls.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can assure you all exterior walls are load bearing, barring some crazy unique examples. What's important is if your joists are perpendicular or parallel to that exterior wall. This will determine if your floor joists can sufficiently support the load and distribute that load to the load bearing walls.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. Only walls perpendicular to the joists and rafters support the floor load. The other walls only support the load of the wall itself.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back