Tank weight and placement

AlexAsselin

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Location
Alberta,Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am I'm the process of upgrading from a 55gal rimless with HOB filter and protein skimmer to a 120gal with at 40 gal sump. Sitting on a wood frame.

My first question is. I have the tank set up on the main floor with a basement underneath. The house is about 10 years old, so relatively new. With out hiring an engineer. Will it be fine where it is or is it too much weight? The tank is 4' wide and spanning across multiple floor joists.
5055.jpg
5054.jpg
5055.jpg
5053.jpg
 
You may want to brace it underneath, as floor loads tend to be "X" amount of lbs/sq ft, depending on the joist size and type (typical lumber or TJI).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new