Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply (1st Revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add an ornate leopard wrasse to a tank with the following wrasses?

- Flame Wrasse pair
- Labouti Wrasse
- Lineatus Fairy Wrasse

I was looking at the chart, but I couldn’t find it. Or I may be blind. :)

Agree with Gary, should be fine. On another note keep an eye on your Flame "pair". Wrasses don't actually pair and eventually your female will transition to male. When that happens you likely will have WWIII on your hands. If you could trade the female to a buddy with another species of fairy you like it would be a good idea.

This is Hunter's article on the subject. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pairing-wrasses-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.3/

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add an ornate leopard wrasse to a tank with the following wrasses?

- Flame Wrasse pair
- Labouti Wrasse
- Lineatus Fairy Wrasse

I was looking at the chart, but I couldn’t find it. Or I may be blind. :)
The article/chart is inclusive to Cirrhilabrus. ;)
(but agree it would be okay)

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great chart.

I was looking at it for possible wrasses for my 40b and noticed the Lunatus Complex are listed as A, 40 gallons. Am I reading this right? this seems odd, the Dusky, which I think is amazing, is a pretty good size fish isn’t it? I would have thought it would be a bit cramped in a 40 gallon tank..

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great chart.

I was looking at it for possible wrasses for my 40b and noticed the Lunatus Complex are listed as A, 40 gallons. Am I reading this right? this seems odd, the Dusky, which I think is amazing, is a pretty good size fish isn’t it? I would have thought it would be a bit cramped in a 40 gallon tank..
There are a couple of wrasses that go by the common name of dusky wrasse. One is the small, peaceful, Cirrhilabrus species on this list. The other is a larger Halichoeres species that would be too large for a 40g.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of wrasses that go by the common name of dusky wrasse. One is the small, peaceful, Cirrhilabrus species on this list. The other is a larger Halichoeres species that would be too large for a 40g.

is the brunneus as cool in person as the online photos depict? was gonna go with a pintail from that complex, but the brunneus is tempting..

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is the brunneus as cool in person as the online photos depict? was gonna go with a pintail from that complex, but the brunneus is tempting..
It’s definitely a cool fish but not all Brunneus are the same color. My LFS has one for years that was jet black with little under belly coloration. Mine was more red undertones and I seen others with that distinctive yellow belly. But you can’t go wrong in that complex.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely a cool fish but not all Brunneus are the same color. My LFS has one for years that was jet black with little under belly coloration. Mine was more red undertones and I seen others with that distinctive yellow belly. But you can’t go wrong in that complex.

it definitely has unique coloring for the fairies

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great chart.

Thanks!
And +1 to that.
Cirrhilabrus brunneus is only a 3" fish at maturity, and will be okay in a 40B.
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. ;)
Ahh I see thanks. This is a nice object lesson in using a fish real name rather than its trade name..
Never trust common names. :)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C.-brunneus.jpg

i mean, do they mostly look like that? :D

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C.-brunneus.jpg

i mean, do they mostly look like that? :D
Eh, roughly. Mind you, the blue there is a bit of an artifact of the lighting.
It's like any terminal male Cirrhilabrus - some look a bit better than others, but they're all roughly the same.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have a small female flame wrasse and i also have ordered an orangeback. i'm thinking my other most desired fish is a hooded. looks like complex wise i should be good, but then i'm also considering either a brunneus or pintail. would 4 be too many in a 4' 100g?

also under consideration would be a rubrimarginatus and exquisite. the plan being for the orangeback to be dominant so hopefully it doesn't fade, plus i like my fish to get along with mostly minimal aggression. good plan? how many would likely to be safe? would rubrimarginatus possibly try to dethrone the orangeback?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have a small female flame wrasse and i also have ordered an orangeback. i'm thinking my other most desired fish is a hooded. looks like complex wise i should be good, but then i'm also considering either a brunneus or pintail. would 4 be too many in a 4' 100g?
That should all be okay.
rubrimarginatus
Not enough tank; big species.
exquisite
That'd be okay.
the plan being for the orangeback to be dominant so hopefully it doesn't fade, plus i like my fish to get along with mostly minimal aggression. good plan?
A good plan, but you know what they say about the best laid plans. And you can't plan for individual attitudes, either.
would rubrimarginatus possibly try to dethrone the orangeback?
And it definitely would also do that.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome, thank you as always!

just gotta hope none of the fish up and decide to not read the all about reef safe wrasses thread :D

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome, thank you as always!

just gotta hope none of the fish up and decide to not read the all about reef safe wrasses thread :D
I hear printing it out and taping it to the outside of the tank, text side in, sometimes works?

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the following in a 240, planning on adding an orangeback & an exquisite last. Before I do that, are any other fairies compatible with what we have? I’d like to add more if possible & not sure if I overlooked anything. I’d like a johnsoni but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

possum
Diamondtail flasher
Rhomboid
Flame
Lubbock
Earl
Pintail
Katherine
Lineatus - picking up tomorrow
Hooded flame - picking up tomorrow

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the following in a 240, planning on adding an orangeback & an exquisite last. Before I do that, are any other fairies compatible with what we have? I’d like to add more if possible & not sure if I overlooked anything. I’d like a johnsoni but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

possum
Diamondtail flasher
Rhomboid
Flame
Lubbock
Earl
Pintail
Katherine
Lineatus - picking up tomorrow
Hooded flame - picking up tomorrow
That's a pretty good mix of Cirrhilabrus already. Being a 240, you could probably get away with a few more riskier choices, but you are right on that comfortable boarder right now, IMO.

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty good mix of Cirrhilabrus already. Being a 240, you could probably get away with a few more riskier choices, but you are right on that comfortable boarder right now, IMO.

Thanks & I’ll stick with that list. The rhomboid is now terminal male & been cruising around with his gold face showing everyone who’s the boss. It’s on to a leopard or 2 & a melanurus or an earmuff after the last 2 fairies go in.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

My head spins every time I try to think about what wrasse to get. There are so many choices and my brain is too small to make a decision.

I think I am set on a cirrhilabrus. I’ve seen exquisite named several times as a good choice so I am leaning this way. I am looking for color and activity to balance against my other inhabitants. Robustness and ability to take quarantine are important too and cost should be reasonable (no rare breed). This will be my only wrasse I expect. My LFS is not allowing browsing and internet has been hard for me to see size and color.

Tank is 120g. 48x24x24. Currently no corals. I may try easier soft corals in the future.
Friends,
Blue spot Toby
Snowflake eel
Blue throat trigger
Tomini tang
One spot foxface
Dogface puffer.

I think I will need a larger fairy wrasse and medium aggressiveness. I am missing red in the fish colors. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back