Stocking List For LPS/Softie Reef 40B

TMF89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I saw that there wasn't a 40b stock list thread on the first page, so I figured I better make one! I'm getting back into aquariums after some time away, and trying to get my first real mixed reef tank going. I want to have some solid corals going, but I do want a pretty heavy, varied stocking list and place the overall focus on the fish.

I'd like to keep it to single or pairs of fish, and focus on covering as wide a variety of colors and types as possible. I'm thinking maybe one of each of the following (or possibly a pair of the cardinals or firefish)

banggai cardinal
purple/exquisite firefish
starki damselfish
snowflake ocellaris clown
captive-bred mandarin
one/two small wrasse

I'm hoping the cardinal and firefish are a couple easy ways to get fairly uniquely colored/shaped fish into the tank, and I've heard that starki damsels and ocellaris clowns are usually the least aggressive of their respective species. I was reading a thread about good reef-safe angels for a 40b, and a few guys mentioned the starki as a good alternative.

As far as the last three, I'm familiar with the requirements of mandarins, and do plan on cultivating pods both in the tank as well as in a HOB fuge. And I'll only buy a captive-bred fish, so hopefully pods won't be that much of an issue at all! When it comes to the wrasse, I know that most require more swimming space than a 36" tank, but I've read a fair amount of info saying that smaller flashers or fairies can handle the shorter tank. What are the chances of a carpenters or mccoskers wrasse playing nice with a yellow corris, lubbock, or some other fairy wrasse? I've heard flashers are generally more aggressive than fairies, would two different fairy wrasse be a better option?

Thanks for any advice and experience you guys have to offer!!

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herd stories about multiple wrasses being a bad idea but im not sure if there are some that are capable of being cohabitable. Just stories I've herd, no personal experience on this.

Herd cleaner gobys are great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back