Citric acid cleaning 6095

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 18, 2019
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
1,214
Location
Bay Area, Brentwood CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger, I read on a older forum u use citric acid and fill the tunze impeller cavity and soak the impeller. Is that still your way. What about the body of the tunze powerhead or cages??? I guess being purple doesn't matter about power function. But trying to plan an attack on 4 powerheads. Thinking one at a time so I don't pull all 4 and have no flow.
 
At home I usually use white vinegar, but here at work we use citric acid as it is just more convenient to keep and store a powder. Both will work just fine. If the front cage or motor is covered enough to impede flow, it would be useful to soak them, but we typically build our pumps so the intake area is 4 times the output area and this gives a lot of leeway for some build up to occur and not disrupt flow. I would say in general a more in depth cleaning is only needed annually.
 
I clean mine every 2 months.
The impeller area only needs to be cleaned with a qtip and the brush that came with my 9410 skimmer.
Qtip and vinegar if needed, mine dose not.
I just remove one at a time and clean it in 1 gallon or so of used tank water.
I just use a toothbrush to clean the grate and leave it purple.
This method has worked well fo 16 months.
If the grate area gets thin then I open it up and reinstall.
No need to clean all the coralline off if its working, imo.
Here is a pic I just took of my 6095 and 6105.
20201102_072401.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new