Citron goby

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw him at my LFS and he was so cute and had so much personality I just had to get him. Did a quick LiveAquaria search: reef compatible. Yay! And I bring him home and put him in the quarantine tank and then… they’re not really reef safe! Not for acros anyway and I have a ton of acros!

Sooooo my question is: does anyone have experience with these guys? Do they bother anything other than acros? I can put him in my softy tank (has mostly softies and a few torches). Would this be mostly safe?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies is safer but sticks more at home for them.
He may nip at Acropora Sp so the risk is there.
I love the fish but just can’t take that risk.
I love the sticks more.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 clown gobies in my softie tank, they perch on leathers mostly all day, sometimes on other corals as well, the citron should be fine.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will sit on most corals, that may bother the coral. They typically live among acros. They nip the flesh off spots to lay eggs. I had 3 black, red, green they never bother anything and I had them in a mixed reef monti and acros, lps and softies, worst they did was irritate some corals the tried to sit on. A friend had a pair that would nip the flesh off a few choice acros in a spot, lay eggs and then the eggs would hatch or get eaten and the coral would recover. If the coral is healthy it should recover just fine. A lot of the time he said the coral would sprout a new branch from the spot with in a few weeks. they typically go for the base.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back