Clams, Clams, Clams!!!

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make Chris happy, and myself, I've started a thread about clams. I would like to purchase one in the near future, preferably at the frag swap in April and would like to gather as much info as possible. Who has experience with them, what can you recommend or not recommend, etc..

I personally would like to find a green, yellow coloring but I'm not 100% sold on this color form yet. I don't have much knowledge in the differences of species of clams as well. Please provide what you know or have read elsewhere.

I would like to know feeding requirements, water params, etc...

Bring it on!!!!

MaximaClamGreen111.jpg

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably have the biggest clam around here and been having it for almost a year and I have never feed it anything. One thing I notice about mine is that it loves a lot of light. I have 400 watt metal halides and if I move it away from the center of the lights it some how moves back into the brightest section of the tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Good info iiluisii. How long have you had it? What kind is it; maxima, tridacna??? Has it grown much since you've owned it? Share some photos of that bad boy!!!

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 clams back in 2005, one was a deresa and the other was a maxima. They like alot of light, If my memory isn't to far wrong i think the deresa was 3" and the maxima was almost 2 1/2". Back then I dosed iodine, calcium, and the old version of coral vital. Had a 4 by 96watt power compact with 2 10k and 2 purple actinic 2 350 penguin biowheels filters they were in a 50 gallon. Ended up selling them with the tank and all the rest of the inhabbitants.

But back on topic, I bought both of them from a coral farm in michigan the deresa was about 2" and the maxima was really really small. At first they didn't look so well so i got a better light the one above was using vo before that. With the new light and started mixing up what i called the batch and turkey basiung them and my corals with it. Everything started doing 200% better. What i call the batch is mysis,brine,squid,coral vital,black powder all blended together and turkey basted at night 3 times a week. In a year they reached the size they were when I sold them.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread Scooleyosis, I too am looking to get a clam in a few months. Are they tolerate of nutrients in the water column PO4/Nitrate or do they need ultra low nutrients like sps I wonder?

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read they need nitrate and phosphate at undetectable levels. Gmoney what are the params of your system?

Sent Via my iToaster 5

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read they need nitrate and phosphate at undetectable levels. Gmoney what are the params of your system?

Sent Via my iToaster 5

They filter these out of the water, when people have really big clams they actually have to dose nitrates to keep the clam alive because it sucks them out of the water so fast.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

sandalscout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've not seen it myself, and I'm not even sure that they are still open, I have seen pictures of Aquatic Dreamworld's sump clam, in Evansville Indiana. This thing was MASSIVE, like 14-16", and it sat about 3 inches to the side of the drain from the DT, if I recall correctly. I don't know the story behind how it ended up in the sump, but the story is that the clam was such an incredible filter, that when it ended up nearly in the overflow path, everything in the tank responding amazingly (it was an SPS dominant tank).

I wish I'd had better luck with my clam. He lasted about 5 months, just not quite sure what was or wasn't missing in my tank.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural filters by the sound of it. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to look into this clam in the sump topic.

Sent Via my iToaster 5

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Derasa in my 72g bowfront a couple of years ago

tank026.jpg

christmasseason2010160.jpg

scrubbing bubble algae,

tank020-1.jpg

I got it when it was about 3", and had him for about 8yrs. Unfortunately, I lost it when I was in the process of tearing down my old system and upgrading to a newer system.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the loss. That's a big clam, nice size reference! Lol

Any special feeding requirements? Did you ever spot feed it the many years you had it? How much flow did you have it in?

Sent Via my iToaster 5

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a really nice place. That and Preuss Pets in East Lansing

Sent Via my iToaster 5

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been to preuss.

I liked the shop in dearborne heights also.
Think its called the critter.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. I've had a tank for 3yrs now and never had a clam. I have a spot cleared out for one in my office tank that's cycling now. Any recommendation on which species to get? I really like the teal blue ones.

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasa are the hardiest of them. but they are not usually as brightly colored as the squamy and the maxima.

The very large one I posted is a Derasa, and it survived several tank moves, some more than 4hrs away. It also survived long periods of neglect of my tank. ( I am not proud of that.

the clown fish hosted in the mantle for years. he would sleep in it every night and the mantle would cover him up. For a while, the clown even decided to move inside the clam.

No special feeding. other than it really did not like reef chili. It would constantly try to blow it out of its "gills" or whatever they are.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh, we veered off topic already! LOL

I make sure to visit Preuss every time I go back to Michigan. Although West Michigan is starting to get some really good shops so I've been frequenting them when I go back.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks MC. I've heard mixed reviews of Reef Chili. I use it now but not quite sure if it does anything beneficial.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back