Clams for feeding

Spicoli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a fish eating nothing but clams and nori right now, I hope he wakes up and discovers the water column food soon (its an Idol).
I go on vacation for two weeks in a month and I'm plotting how to best feed.

I have three questions:
  • Can I open live clams and freeze them, to make the person's life who is fish keeping for me easy? He'd just have to drop a frozen and open clam into the tank.
  • Can clams bring parasites? I'm getting them at the supermarket live. Right now, out of caution, I'm opening live clams and putting them in RODI water for 5 minutes.
  • In general, is putting food into the tank still frozen ok? Mysis etc. I'm trying to make feedings easy for my friend, but don't want to harm any fishes.
Thanks for any info/experiences.

archercorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely try and feed frozen clams. Brands like V20 sell them already frozen, buy some and try to see if it will eat before. Unsure what water/conditions store bought clams are kept in, so i wouldn't add a live clam to save a few bucks. You can put frozen food in the tank with little issue. Most ppl rinse to just get some excess waste/bad water, but I dont think it makes a huge difference, especially with all the ppl shooting for high numbers now.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back