Grocery store live saltwater clams

Spicoli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Can clams bring parasites? I'm getting them at the supermarket live. Right now, out of caution, I'm opening live clams and putting them in RODI water for 5 minutes.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about parasites the only way to be sure is either cooking or freezing. I do not know if these clams harbor parasites that can infect tropical dish we typically keep...but maybe.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care about parasites but I ate these oysters for dinner last night. I didn't save any for my fish as they were to good. But my fish would love them. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Oysters.JPG

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care about parasites but I ate these oysters for dinner last night. I didn't save any for my fish as they were to good. But my fish would love them. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Oysters.JPG
no crackers? I love raw oysters with lemon, hot sauce( prefer crystal), and crackers! looks good!

wait September has an R in it!! ;) lol

RRA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, I’m reaching deep into my brain here. But didn’t the Italians/Eru insist on live seafood for the blue method? Always a method I wanted to try/intrigued by.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oysters.JPG
Dinner, wasn’t that an appetizer? Then an octopus salad, and stuffed lobster? Dam you making me hungry lol

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lobster stuffing, shrimp, crab and some other filler crap ya don’t need

This will work
IMG_1822.jpeg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, I’m reaching deep into my brain here. But didn’t the Italians/Eru insist on live seafood for the blue method? Always a method I wanted to try/intrigued by.
I am 100% Sicilian from both my Grand Parents. Not only Sicily, but the same town in Sicily. Of course I was born in Brooklyn so I am 100% American but I love oysters and anything else from the sea. My dad had a seafood business and I grew up surrounded by dead fish. :)

A few days ago I spent a lot of time here and did have octopus, clams, squid and oysters. Those are my staple foods. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Sea Food Market.JPG

OP
OP
Spicoli

Spicoli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Can clams bring parasites? I'm getting them at the supermarket live. Right now, out of caution, I'm opening live clams and putting them in RODI water for 5 minutes.
I meant fish parasites, but yummmm

LOL

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live clams would certainly have parasites as they are filter feeders. If you are worried about parasites or if you have a quarantined tank, freeze the clams first. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been adding nails and hermit crabs from tide pools in my area to my tanks since I first got involved in the hobby. Never a problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course they are fine!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back