Clams, The Best Food for a Reef

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fine for tiny clams, the clams I use are 4 or 5" across and would just crash the tank. :eek:
How big is your tank? I feed the smaller little neck clams and I feed one a day to my 300G angelfish dominant tank. The clams are mostly around 2". Maybe I should feed more or just get the bigger ones?

Chris Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sandworms are fantastic food. Too bad you can't get tiny ones. I have been looking for tiny ones for years but all I find are the ones that want to take my arm off. You can freeze them and chop them up or they may bite you requiring a trip to a doctor and requiring 4 stitches. :rolleyes:
I have been able to get tiny to small ones from local bait shops. The owner of one shop told me that she usually picks the small ones out and uses them in minnow/crab traps or throws them out because fishermen don't want them. I bought a dozen and she threw in about six more short ones for free.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I feed the smaller little neck clams and I feed one a day to my 300G angelfish dominant tank. The clams are mostly around 2". Maybe I should feed more or just get the bigger ones?

My tank is 125 gallons but most of my fish are small like pipefish, mandarins, scooter bleenies, gobies etc. Most of them don't eat clams. I also have copperband clowns and some slightly larger fish that eat clams.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 125 gallons but most of my fish are small like pipefish, mandarins, scooter bleenies, gobies etc. Most of them don't eat clams. I also have copperband clowns and some slightly larger fish that eat clams.

I definitely need to feed the bigger one then. All my fish go after the clam and it is picked clean within half an hour usually.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot prove it but after feeding clams which feed on dinos my tanks infested with dinoflagellets. Apparently ulva sea lettuce may kill them im going to try it.

Update ulva didnt work

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going against the tide with this post, but, on the two occasions Ive fed fresh clams my tank has shown slight signs of decline.
Once was a year ago, & I said I'd never feed them again. But I did a few weeks ago, & again a negative effect.
Perhaps it's because they filter feed all sorts of muck, including virulent bacteria?
I don't know, but I won't feed clams again.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, can you maybe take a picture of what the piece of clams you feed the fish look like? When I try to feed them clams it either is a large chunk more than a thin filet. do you chop a few pieces up and feed in the tank to disperse for everything or how do you do that?

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feed it whole, but my tank is 960g and at moment has 20 fish but soon about 10 more and will grow to over 100

Cruz Mc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of putting them in the blender. Now I have a nice purée of clams, mussels, and oysters. My corals love it, but not enough bigger pieces for my fish. Next go round I’ll just power through and slice the frozen pieces.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always said, don't put clams in the blender. They hate that. :rolleyes:

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B I have been using your method for some time now . Everyone is spoiled now. Plus it keeps a few more dollars in my pocket. I picked up a large amount of clams and froze them. Every once in a while I get one the reeks of death. Should they be tossed and not feed to the tank. I have tossed them just wanted to know .

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes toss them. When you buy live clams, make sure they are all closed, or they close when you tap them. The ones that don't leave in the store.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks, a fish tank with big fish and a small reef tank. My big fish can tear apart pieces and my puffer swallows oysters whole.

If I was going to freeze a cherrystone (which I think you are buying. I live in New England so I can get pretty much any bivalve), and shave off small pieces to the reef tank, how can I be sure I am getting "the guts?".

Also, with your logic, wouldn't silverslides be a good food as well? My eel likes whole silverslides, but doesn't seem to like clams. He's too small to eat an oyster. I can also get whole small octopus at the Asian grocery store, heads and all? If I feed just the head (cut off the tentacles) , is that a good food?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, if you feed clams the fish are getting the guts as the clam guts take up a large part of the "meat" of the clam. Of course sometimes the fish will be eating the muscle and sometimes the organs, but they will get it eventually.

Saltwater Silversides are a great food for some fish like you mentioned eels. If they can be eaten whole that is a good food and what many fish in the sea eat. But to cut up silversides for smaller fish is very messy as their guts don't stay together like a clam and will float all over the place. I wouldn't put them in a blender either unless you know a divorce lawyer. Even so, if your fish will eat them, clams are much better. Look at these charts below.

One advantage of feeding whole fish is the fish are also getting the bones which are made of calcium. (but clams even have more calcium). Calcium in food is IMO severely lacking in most food we can get.

Here are some "Human" benefits or eating clams. I am not sure of the nutritional needs of fish.

Nutrition Facts
Clams are one of the most nutritious foods in the world, and they offer an exceptional range of nutrients.

The table below shows the full nutrition profile for clams per 100 grams raw (3).

Calories and Macronutrients
The Calorie and Macronutrient Profile Per 100g of Clams
Calories/MacronutrientAmount (kcal/grams)
Calories74 kcal
Carbohydrate2.6 g
– Fiber0 g
– Sugars0 g
Fat1.0 g
– Saturated Fat0.1 g
– Monounsaturated Fat0.1 g
– Polyunsaturated Fat0.3 g
– Omega-3198 mg
– Omega-616.0 mg
Protein12.8 g
Vitamins

Vitamin Content of Clams Per 100 Grams
VitaminAmount% RDI
Vitamin B1249.4 mcg824 %
Vitamin C13.0 mg22 %
Vitamin B20.2 mg13 %
Vitamin B31.8 mg9 %
Vitamin A300 IU6 %
Vitamin B10.1 mg5 %
Folate16.0 mcg4 %
Vitamin B50.4 mg4 %
Vitamin B60.1 mg3 %
Vitamin E0.2 mcg2 %
Vitamin D4.0 IU1 %
Minerals

Mineral Content of Clams Per 100 Grams
MineralAmount% RDI
Iron14.0 mg78 %
Selenium24.3 mcg35 %
Manganese0.5 mg25 %
Phosphorus169 mg17 %
Copper0.3 mg17 %
Zinc1.4 mg9 %
Potassium314 mg9 %
Calcium46.0 mg5 %
Magnesium9.0 mg2 %
Sodium1.4 mg2 %
Key Point: Clams are packed with nutrients, and they are especially high in iron and vitamin B12.

Health Benefits of Clams
A Bowl of Clam Chowder.
A bowl of clam chowder
Here is a look at some of the most significant benefits that clams offer.

1) Exceptional Source of Vitamin B12
Clams are one of the best dietary sources of vitamin B12, and they offer an impressive 824% of the reference daily intake (RDI) per 100 grams.

Most people view beef as being high in B12, which it is, but as the table below shows, clams provide far more of the vitamin (4);

B12 per 100 g Raw WeightAmount% RDI
80% lean beef2.1 mcg36 %
Clams49.4 mcg824 %
Vitamin B12 is crucial for human health, and amongst its functions, it plays a vital role in (5);

Here is the nutritional facts on silversides. You can see that clams have many more benefits for fish and us. Look at the vitamin content compared to clams.
SparkPeople Calorie Look Up
silverside - small fish - 2 oz

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving

• Calories 5.0
  • Total Fat 1.5 g
  • Saturated Fat 0.3 g
  • Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
  • Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
  • Cholesterol 40.0 mg
  • Sodium 35.0 mg
  • Potassium 0.0 mg
  • Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
  • Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
  • Sugars 0.0 g
  • Protein 10.0 g

• Vitamin A 0.0 %
  • Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
  • Vitamin B-6 0.0 %
  • Vitamin C 0.0 %
  • Vitamin D 0.0 %
  • Vitamin E 0.0 %
  • Calcium 4.0 %
  • Copper 0.0 %
  • Folate 0.0 %
  • Iron 4.0 %
  • Magnesium 0.0 %
  • Manganese 0.0 %
  • Niacin 0.0 %
  • Pantothenic Acid 0.0 %
  • Phosphorus 0.0 %
  • Riboflavin 0.0 %
  • Selenium 0.0 %
  • Thiamin 0.0 %
  • Zinc 0.0 %

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back