Clean Filter media

DjLovesKermit

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need help!
I bought a filter from a some guy that never used it but he did add water to it. Im not sure how long the media was sitting in the water but it smelled pretty dewy. came with filtration sponges, ceramic media, and crushed coral. I clean the container with vinegar and rinse it out with water. is there any way i can clean it or should i just buy some new media?
 
Last edited:
Can you hook it up on a five gallon bucket of tank water and let it run for a few hours or days. I don’t think the dewy smell is a big deal but if you run it on tank water I think it will heal itself in the process. Dump the bucket when you are done.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new