Clean filter sock during cycle?

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! 2 weeks into cycle and have not cleaned the filter sock. Should I wait until the cycle is complete to do so?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most dont use socks during cycle. You dont want the bacteria to colonize on the socks you want it to colonize the rocks instead.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree w ^

It's probably a pretty minor concern either way. However you go about it, I'd just want to confirm that you can process your desired amount of ammonia over a set period of time with either no filter sock or a fresh one. You do see a fair number of posts of people getting ammonia spikes in QT tanks with hob filters when they swap filters.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree w ^

It's probably a pretty minor concern either way. However you go about it, I'd just want to confirm that you can process your desired amount of ammonia over a set period of time with either no filter sock or a fresh one. You do see a fair number of posts of people getting ammonia spikes in QT tanks with hob filters when they swap filters.

Ok thanks! I will try and rinse it out under tap water, see what the levels do after that

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back