Clean up crew for 10 gallon

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told that my flow may be a problem as I’m only getting roughly 14 times turnover rate for the tank when it should be 20 but im still getting some build up of detritus on the sand bed. I do also have a bubble algae problem but as for clean up crew I have 2 trochus snails and 3 nassarius, is this enough or should I stock more? My tank is a basic softie tank with higher nutrients

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your clean up crew should be based on your problem to make sure there is enough food for them to eat. The nassariius snails aren't doing much about the algae since there are carnivores. I would definitely add a few more snails, or something else. I would also start by doing a water change to lower nutrient levels if you are having algae build up as that is the biggest source. My 10 gallon cube has 3 turbos, 3 ninja stars, and 3 hermit crabs, and everything looks good as there is enough algae growth in there to keep them healthy but also make sure my tank is looking clean.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above. My 15 gallon has about 4 snails, its good enough. I prefer to start with little and add more as I need

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In nano tanks, I’m a big fan of Money Cowries. They’re small, great grazers, and cool to look at. You might consider a goby to help manage the sand bed, but really targeted siphoning during water changes will help with that. Emerald crab is likely your only option in a 10g for valonia.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In nano tanks, I’m a big fan of Money Cowries. They’re small, great grazers, and cool to look at. You might consider a goby to help manage the sand bed, but really targeted siphoning during water changes will help with that. Emerald crab is likely your only option in a 10g for valonia.

I’ve always been told to stay away from cowries but now I’m liking the sound of them, I’ll definitely have a look into those

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your clean up crew should be based on your problem to make sure there is enough food for them to eat. The nassariius snails aren't doing much about the algae since there are carnivores. I would definitely add a few more snails, or something else. I would also start by doing a water change to lower nutrient levels if you are having algae build up as that is the biggest source. My 10 gallon cube has 3 turbos, 3 ninja stars, and 3 hermit crabs, and everything looks good as there is enough algae growth in there to keep them healthy but also make sure my tank is looking clean.
Any particular snails you would recommend or should I get just more trochus?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Detritus is best consumed by worms such as dorvillidae and spaghetti, but not like you can go out and buy them. Siphoning is next bet, For your tank, to assure youre covered for GHA, diatoms and cyano add the following as 4 will not address it:
2-3 astrea
2 turbo grazer
2-3 cerith
2 nerite
2 trochus

4-6 carribean blue leg hermits

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detritus is best consumed by worms such as dorvillidae and spaghetti, but not like you can go out and buy them. Siphoning is next bet, For your tank, to assure youre covered for GHA, diatoms and cyano add the following as 4 will not address it:
2-3 astrea
2 turbo grazer
2-3 cerith
2 nerite
2 trochus

4-6 carribean blue leg hermits
Is there a substitute for hermit crabs? Im really discouraged to get them because I had a cherub angel, my dream fish and it was very healthy, one morning I turn the light on and see a hermit crab tearing it apart :/

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is there a substitute for hermit crabs? Im really discouraged to get them because I had a cherub angel, my dream fish and it was very healthy, one morning I turn the light on and see a hermit crab tearing it apart :/
These are not the hermits you are thinking. These are tiny and only care about scavenging for food source.

1666218373957.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back