Cleaner shrimp carrying eggs

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Didn't know my shrimp was female until this morning. She has rows of eggs under her belly. Do they reproduce asexually? no other shrimp in the tank. Molted the other day and today has eggs. Guessing they are not going to survive and be fish or coral food?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know my shrimp was female until this morning. She has rows of eggs under her belly. Do they reproduce asexually? no other shrimp in the tank. Molted the other day and today has eggs. Guessing they are not going to survive and be fish or coral food?

My understanding is that they’re hermaphrodites but can’t fertilize themselves between switches. They need a mate. Maybe she was carrying eggs before you got her. How long have you had her?

According to my limited research, you can’t keep em alive in captivity long. Think about it: if they could be captive bred, Considering hoe many babies are born at once, I assume they’d be easier to find (don’t know about you but I have trouble finding them where I’m from) and much cheaper. So, I’d leave em in DT as a snack for the fishies. Couldn’t hurt to pull some out for an experiment to see if you can keep em alive though

OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
In my tank for 4 months . She’s ones of the 1st inhabitants of my tank .

No plans to keep baby shrimps honestly . Be cool if one or two makes it though lol

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back