Cleaner shrimp destruction

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just caught my cleaner shrimp ripping the tentacles of my torch off. He’s definitely going back to the LFS tomorrow. I loved having it in my tank, but it’s not worth losing corals over. I know they don’t regularly pick corals like that, so maybe I just got unlucky with his one. Does anyone have any experiences like mine with their shrimp? Or any advice on getting him to stay off the coral? I’d appreciate any help :)

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure he's a cleaner and not a camel shrimp? They're mistakenly sold as peppermints often.
I’m pretty sure he’s a skunk cleaner here’s bad pic of it. My bad the lights are off.

Attachments

• 1E34D7BD-8C0B-4666-9415-DAE9B6F7F74E.jpeg
    1E34D7BD-8C0B-4666-9415-DAE9B6F7F74E.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 92

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's a scarlet skunk. Are you sure the coral is healthy and the shrimp wasn't simply attracted to damaged tissure? They can sense death faster than we can.
Really?! Just look at those soulless, glowing, orange eyes! I can sense evil afoot!
In all seriousness, I agree with you. +1 on something being wrong with the torch.

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's a scarlet skunk. Are you sure the coral is healthy and the shrimp wasn't simply attracted to damaged tissure? They can sense death faster than we can.
I got the torch about 2 weeks ago and i never saw any issues and thought it was doing really good until it got a haircut. I have a frogspawn he picks at, but I’m sure he’s just looking for food and I’ve never seen him cut any tentacles off. I’ll post a picture of the torch when my lights go on

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the torch about 2 weeks ago and i never saw any issues and thought it was doing really good until it got a haircut. I have a frogspawn he picks at, but I’m sure he’s just looking for food and I’ve never seen him cut any tentacles off. I’ll post a picture of the torch when
Show us the torch.
torch.
F8220B81-8A71-410A-B7F1-E9075CB0ED43.jpeg

Here’s the torch!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love shrimp. I have 22ish in my tank, all different types, and never seen one go after a coral. They can be annoying, and take food from them when I spot feed. I've seen one of my cleaners ripe a hermit crab from the shell and eat it, but again no issue with corals. Did you possibly just feed, and it was trying to get some food that the torch had grabbed.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cleaner shrimp in my coral frag/qt tank. I have 6 coral in there, toad stool, gsp, a montiopora, torch, hammer, pavona, and birdsnest. The birdsnest isn't doing very great, qnd I've noticed after feeding/dosing phyto the shrimp will rip the phyto out off the birds nest polyps.

My workaround to this is before feeding phyto I use my tweasers to hand feed the shrimp a large chunk off meat out off my frozen food. This keeps him busy for a long time.

I had a fish come in extremely stressed from shipping that I put in that tank. He tried preemptively cleaning up the fishes body lol.

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed the shrimp?
Yeah I feed him I don’t have many fish in the tank and sometimes I feed him with a
I love shrimp. I have 22ish in my tank, all different types, and never seen one go after a coral. They can be annoying, and take food from them when I spot feed. I've seen one of my cleaners ripe a hermit crab from the shell and eat it, but again no issue with corals. Did you possibly just feed, and it was trying to get some food that the torch had grabbed.
I fed the tank earlier in the day. He started doing this when the lights were going out. I’ve seen him take food from corals, but never actually destroying them.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I toss food into the tank for the CUC to eat when lights are out/moon including my skunks, my molly miller unfortunately eats most of it.

One of my hermits started to go rogue when there was no food at night

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cleaner shrimp tearing the frogspawn too. It depends on the individual shrimp. Most of them behave well. Some individuals go rouge.

Back