Cleaner Shrimp Died

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp died today and I’m not sure where to start looking for a cause. I got him 8 months ago and he was very small so I’m ruling out old age. Today at lunch he was sideways at the bottom of the tank but saw a hermit crab molt and assumed he was picking at it. After work he could not swim and was sideways near the bottom. About 30 minutes later he was being attacked by my emerald crab and all but dead. I removed him from the tank.
I haven’t run any checks today and will tonight or tomorrow. Kids and work have priority tonight. I really just want to know where to look. I sent off a Triton test two weeks ago and results are below. I’ve also listed my most recent parameters and when they were run. Any suggestions on what to check are greatly appreciated.
Alkalinity-8.2 dKH-Hanna-yesterday
Salinity-35.1 ppt-Hanna-Yesterday
PO4-0.04 ppm-Hanna-Sunday
NO3-5 ppm-Salifert-Sunday
pH-8.0ish-Salifert-Sunday

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp died today and I’m not sure where to start looking for a cause. I got him 8 months ago and he was very small so I’m ruling out old age. Today at lunch he was sideways at the bottom of the tank but saw a hermit crab molt and assumed he was picking at it. After work he could not swim and was sideways near the bottom. About 30 minutes later he was being attacked by my emerald crab and all but dead. I removed him from the tank.
I haven’t run any checks today and will tonight or tomorrow. Kids and work have priority tonight. I really just want to know where to look. I sent off a Triton test two weeks ago and results are below. I’ve also listed my most recent parameters and when they were run. Any suggestions on what to check are greatly appreciated.
Alkalinity-8.2 dKH-Hanna-yesterday
Salinity-35.1 ppt-Hanna-Yesterday
PO4-0.04 ppm-Hanna-Sunday
NO3-5 ppm-Salifert-Sunday
pH-8.0ish-Salifert-Sunday

It could have passed away during a molt, its not uncommon. Its a very stressful time. I have lost a few and never found a reason. :(

They use Cal and Mag when molting. They are also easily prayed upon after molting as they are trying to recover from the stress and their shell is soft as well. That's why you almost never see them for a day or so after molting.

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your shrimp :( I had two and one died after 6 months or so like yours and the other one lived about two years. I'd like to get another one, but seems like they are $40 each now and I'm just afraid they won't make it that long so I've held off.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have lost one for some random reason, no clue why. The water chemistry was perfect, but it it just passed away.

I’m sorry for your loss. :(
Iodine is highly depleted by protein skimmer. They need that to molt as well.
I lose mine to failed molts as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back