Cleaning a room with a aquarium

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jordangil
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jordangil

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 28, 2012
Messages
199
Reaction score
1
Location
Knoxville TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has never been a problem in the past because I always had carpet where my tank was so I just used the old hoover lol . But in my new house I am thinking about doing a really big tank ( 120) and that can't go in my den upstairs . So It would have to go in the sitting room downstairs, the room has hardwood and will have her wooden zebra chairs that she used windex or lysol on I can't remember . Point being she will be using alot of chemicals in the room and spraying all kinds of crap , so I am wondering will this effect my tank ? It seems like alot of you guys have pretty nice rimless tanks and your house is very clean so I would imagine you or your wifes use cleaning products . I guess as long as she didn't spray near the tank or on the tank it would be ok right ? I wish I could put it above my garage in my den 40x35 room but I just don't trust putting 2000lbs on carpet and on a 2nd floor .I was thinking I could possibly get a canopy for a tank but If I didn't then It would be open and exposed to the elements . So how do you go about cleaning a room with a fish tank in it ?
 
Last edited:
Mine SW tank is in a room where a 6 year old frequently plays and I've seen no problems in regards to chemicals or anything like that... Then again, I have a glass top on mine, so it's hard for stuff to get in.
 
I am really curious about people with rimless tanks specifically . I am planning on getting a canopy but if I can't I just want to make sure I'll be safe .
 
TBH, if it's a 120g tank, you would probably need to dump a bottle of clorox in there for real effects... I don't think a few stray droplets could hurt much.
 
I don't see it as a problem, my tank is open top, in the main living room where the wife does some cleaning with windex/pledge/etc... no problems.
 
I have had the recent problem where there were too many air fresheners in the room.. This created a buildup of slime in the tank! Crazy thing... Avoid too many air fresheners!
 
my tank has no top and is completely open. i clean my house as normal i do make sure i don't use aerosols near the tank and i always spray anything onto a rag first. other than that i sweep and mop my floors a usual.
 
If you look at the following picture --- the mirror is cleaned with Windex (( sprayed onto the mirror )), the bamboo floors are cleaned often, and all that other stuff that happens to keep a room clean -- no issues with the tank. Granted it has a rim, but the top is still open.

002-1.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new