Cleaning a used tank with citric acid?

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure exactly where to post this, so I figured general discussion would work, apologies if this belongs somewhere else.

I bought a used RSR170 that the person was tired of "fighting different things" and the reason he sold it. Looking at his bigger tank I'm assuming it suffered a larger outbreak of aiptesia, cyano, and what appeared to be vermintide snails due it's smaller water volume. The tank and sump have been sitting dry for about a month now, so I'm hoping most things are dead. But I'm wanting to fully sanitize and scrape off all of the nasty gunk left behind that dried on. I bought 10lbs of citric acid to clean the pumps and things, but what about the tank, over flow area, and sump? Is the citric acid safe to use on the silicone? Would it be okay to let the entire system run for a day or two to really clean and sanitize everything or would that long of an acid bath ruin parts, seals, and the silicone? I've never had to clean a tank or sanitize one before so this entire process is completely foreign to me.

Thank you to everyone in advance for any assistance.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive let citric acid sit for days to a week without issue.

Youll love the stuff cause you can literally just blast the gunk away with a high pressure nozzle with minimal if any scraping.

I use about 2 cups per gallon to get it really fizzy but 1c/gal works too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back