Cleaning around the edges silicone glass tank

Tangdora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Want to raise this question is going to sound very obvious and simple but for those with glass aquariums, how do you personally clean on and around your silicone edges. Recently had a custom aquarium made that is glass so I’m just wondering what people do to protect the silicone, my old 90 seems are pretty roughed up from over the years from being hit by a scraper or trying to scrape off Coraline. So not trying to repeat. Obvious answer would be to simply not scrape near but that won’t maintain a clean look.

Manufacture of this custom build did put it on heavy on the seams just want to better preserve them long-term

Curious to hear thought thanks.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got coralline in my seams to so I really don't try and scrape inside the seam. I think a little weathered look in the tank gives the reef more character.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I leave 1/8th coralline strip at seams each side so I can’t touch them.

I agree scrapers can nick seals.
Ive in the past used algae sticks that fit well in corner as below but havent had coralline for a few years which is my goal to not have. Last pic is a pool cleaning corner brush that also works,

1705015686725.png
1705015719421.png
1705015879294.png

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Want to raise this question is going to sound very obvious and simple but for those with glass aquariums, how do you personally clean on and around your silicone edges. Recently had a custom aquarium made that is glass so I’m just wondering what people do to protect the silicone, my old 90 seems are pretty roughed up from over the years from being hit by a scraper or trying to scrape off Coraline. So not trying to repeat. Obvious answer would be to simply not scrape near but that won’t maintain a clean look.

Manufacture of this custom build did put it on heavy on the seams just want to better preserve them long-term

Curious to hear thought thanks.
Toothbrush :cool:

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also leave a little bit of coralline growth near the silicone because I am too scared to nick it with a razor. Doesn't bother me but for any other algae directly along the corners, I rip a little corner of magic eraser and scrub a bit. Works great

OP
OP
T

Tangdora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if Coraline algae bore into surface that it sticks to that would be my only concern with just leaving it on the silicone to just fill out long term and leaving the edge as some have suggested.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back