Cleaning dry rock

JohnathanW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone one I was given about 50 pounds of dry rock that so was pulled from tank and some was curing and put in a trash can with no circulation or heater what would be the best way to clean and get this rock ready for a new tank.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak it in a bleach and water solution for one week, then thoroughl rinse it. Then soak it in freshwater with Seachem Prime for a day. Do another rinse. Then it’s ready. I’d suggest adding 10lbs of real ocean live rock to seed the tank with some life. Starting a tank with all dead rock sucks.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a trash can put your rock in it . Heater power head and saltwater . Anouph to cover rock . Buy some uncooked shrimp med. Or large . Put it on top in a mesh bag so you can remove it. Set your heat at 82 . Let it set covered for 3 months. Check nitrates if high do 100% water change . Rock is ready for tank. After you get in tank . I put a bottle of Dr. Tims in and a bottle of copapods with photoplankton to feed. Add fish and enjoy.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not recomend bleach not unless you want white rock and if you do bleach let rock bry completely it will evaporate do not use if you smell bleach. IMO my way put cycled live bacteria on your rock
His way you are starting with bleach rock nothing on it so you have to go through cycle. My way it is done . And you are done trying to get all those nitrates out that you end up with after a cycle. Your choice.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak it in a bleach and water solution for one week, then thoroughl rinse it. Then soak it in freshwater with Seachem Prime for a day. Do another rinse. Then it’s ready. I’d suggest adding 10lbs of real ocean live rock to seed the tank with some life. Starting a tank with all dead rock sucks.
Had my tank running for 9 months. I've read all the stories of everyone having live rock while I purchased only Marco Rock. I do like them and don't regret the purchase. What I would like to do is add some live rock for some bio diversity.

So I would ask you if it would be safe to add a small amount of Live Rock into an already cycled 9 month tank. I certainly don't want to do any damage now

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back