Cleaning equipment

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you clean equipment used after dealing with a disease? How long does the equipment have to sit?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've never dealt with exact circumstance but i would personally be comfortable using a citric acid based cleaner for the pumps and equipment. for the display, running granular activated carbon either in a reactor or in mesh bags.
the directions for the bath time is usually 30 mins to an hour and the past few times i've switched between running the pumps in the soak or outright dismantling them and letting the parts soak.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EzeClean and Sicce Pump Clean for regular maintenance. I usually let anything I'm cleaning soak for several hours in hot water and the cleaning solution (that's usually enough to sterilize anything).

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've never dealt with exact circumstance but i would personally be comfortable using a citric acid based cleaner for the pumps and equipment. for the display, running granular activated carbon either in a reactor or in mesh bags.
I use a pump to get my water out of the tank, so I should run the citric acid through the pump in say the tub and then let it dry out or what?

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EzeClean and Sicce Pump Clean for regular maintenance. I usually let anything I'm cleaning soak for several hours in hot water and the cleaning solution (that's usually enough to sterilize anything).
So I don’t need the eze clean? I can just use boiling water?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don’t need the eze clean? I can just use boiling water?
Typically when you're cleaning equipment you want something like citric acid (like @landlubber suggested). Some people also use vinegar, but there are some threads that caution about using that with pumps. Since you mentioned disease, I probably wouldn't just use hot water. You also have to be careful with boiling water (you don't want to inadvertently melt anything). And you don't want to add anything like EzeClean directly to your tank (it's specifically for cleaning outside of your tank).

With respect to your question about the pump, I assume this is a separate stand-alone pump that you used? I'd soak it in some hot water and citric acid for a few hours, scrub down afterwards (old electric toothbrushes are great for this), rinse and then let dry overnight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically when you're cleaning equipment you want something like citric acid (like @landlubber suggested). Some people also use vinegar, but there are some threads that caution about using that with pumps. Since you mentioned disease, I probably wouldn't just use hot water. You also have to be careful with boiling water (you don't want to inadvertently melt anything). And you don't want to add anything like EzeClean directly to your tank (it's specifically for cleaning outside of your tank).

With respect to your question about the pump, I assume this is a separate stand-alone pump that you used? I'd soak it in some hot water and citric acid for a few hours, scrub down afterwards (old electric toothbrushes are great for this), rinse and then let dry overnight.
Yea I use a pump that takes water out the tank so I can put water back into afterwards

Back