Cleaning lady killed my fish in QT??

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for others' thoughts on this.

I had 2 clowns, a sailfin and a watanabei die on day 25 of @HotRocks QT protocol. Finished CP (14 days @ 1.75 - 2ppm) and transferred to new tank this past Sunday (20 gallon tank/15 gallons of water, 2 HOB filters and an airstone). I gave them the first dose of GC on Monday before i left on a business trip. My wife had the cleaning lady come and clean the basement where my QT is. My son dosed the second round of GC Wednesday. He said everyone was swimming around and eating. When I got home Thursday morning, one clownfish was dead and the other clown and sailfin were "sitting" on the bottom of the tank rapidly breathing. I didn't have the other QT tank ready so i did a 75% water change and added carbon, thinking that the GC might be the reason. By the evening, the sailfin and clown had no equilibrium and were spiraling all over the tank. I took them out and put them in the freezer (that seems to be the recommended way to end their suffering). The watanabei still seemed to be ok. She was eating and swimming like normal. Today I woke up and she was in the same shape as the others.

I'm sick that I lost 4 fish in more or less 36 hours. I know it happens but i've never had multiple fish die in QT using this protocol. Could the cleaning lady might have cleaned too close to the tank and either got some chemicals or fumes into the tank? I'm just looking for some possible explanation other than a reaction to GC.

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea what type of chemicals she used near the tank? That's really the only thing I can think of other than malicious intent (which I doubt).

As for euthanizing fish, I recommend the clove oil method. It seems to be the most humane and painless way. I had to euthanize my daughter's betta a year ago and this method seemed to work well without causing any noticeable stress.

OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s a lovely woman so no malicious intent at all. It would have been an honest mistake. First time she was allowed in the cave as I was away. I would guess she was using the usual household cleaning agents that I never allow near my tanks. :(

Good to know about the clove oil.

Thanks.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely that your son made an error in the dosing..... too many things were going on at the time you left, and I doubt incidental cleaning products in the area would wipe out all of them.....

I could be wrong, but cleaning lady wouldn’t be my prime suspect

OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measure out the GC before I left to minimize the risk but you never know.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless she actually sprayed into the tanks the regular dusting and possible windex wouldn't do to much... unless your qt is in a bathroom where she would have used bleach products. If she accidentally sprayed a bunch of windex into the tank it would have done something and almost immediently...

OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to have to have tighter controls when QTing my next batch.

It’s just odd that they all died so close to each other and me not being home when things went south just adds to the frustration.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a water change done between the doses of GC?

How is your oxygenation of the water? That’s the only thing I can think of that there was some sort of overdose or lack of oxygen. I also doubt it was the cleaning but you weren’t there so you never know. It’s definitely a possibility.

OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change was done after the 2nd dose. 2 aquaclear 30 HOBs and an air stone.

I’ll definitely keep using the protocol but will make sure I’m home when the GC is used next.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your losses. Water changes need to be conducted between the 2 doses as instructed on package.

OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Hmm. The directions on API’s website says to do the water change after the 2nd dose
3728C233-7452-4427-B357-6235E94DC217.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of what it says, I’m going to take your advice and do the water change between doses. Maybe there was some remaining GC powder that didn’t break down between doses and caused the overdose.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this fear in the past. When I have quarantine tanks set up on the bar area of our basement I put a big sign in front saying DO NOT CLEAN THIS AREA.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the cleaning lady did anything.. Do you not have a top on the tank ??? I do know air refreshners can kill fish.

My mom sprayed heavy on glade refreshners and it killed two fist sized angelfish... She also sprayed ant killer on the floor near the fieh tank and it wiped out the entire tank.. Fresh water.

So if you dont have a top on migjt i suggest next time you get glass tops... petco sells tops for all the 75g to 55g and under tanks

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the losses.

Thinking out loud and sorry if I missed it but did you check ammonia?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Honestly as a parent of 4, I’d place my $ on an accidental death by child. Your cleaning lady would have had to put chemicals directly into your tank for that result and typical they are so careful around tanks. Also could be be something else- ex your meds are expired, something was in one of the buckets you did a water change with etc. But I would guess a kid ODd the meds or accidental spilled what you left out so tried to dose himself; forgot and dosed multiple times etc. In any event, sorry for your losses!!!

OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Honestly as a parent of 4, I’d place my $ on an accidental death by child. Your cleaning lady would have had to put chemicals directly into your tank for that result and typical they are so careful around tanks. Also could be be something else- ex your meds are expired, something was in one of the buckets you did a water change with etc. But I would guess a kid ODd the meds or accidental spilled what you left out so tried to dose himself; forgot and dosed multiple times etc. In any event, sorry for your losses!!!
Thanks. I had a feeling i should have delayed the GC round until I got back from my trip. Lessoned learned, just sorry the fish paid the price (whatever the root cause was).

OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the cleaning lady did anything.. Do you not have a top on the tank ??? I do know air refreshners can kill fish.

My mom sprayed heavy on glade refreshners and it killed two fist sized angelfish... She also sprayed ant killer on the floor near the fieh tank and it wiped out the entire tank.. Fresh water.

So if you dont have a top on migjt i suggest next time you get glass tops... petco sells tops for all the 75g to 55g and under tanks
I have a plexiglass top cut to fit but there is room for gas exchange.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back