OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish - I was reading through one of you excellent threads "Medications to keep on Hand" and saw this recommendation using GC:
API General Cure - Praziquantel and metronidazole mix, but in powder form. Dose 2x (about a week apart); NOT 48 hrs later as the directions say. ;)

I just started another batch of fish in QT (based on @HotRocks protocol) and I don't want to make the same mistake of dosing GC 48hrs. apart and losing the fish.

Is GC too much of a stresser to dose 48hrs. apart and is why you recommend 7 days as apposed to 48hrs?

Thanks.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish - I was reading through one of you excellent threads "Medications to keep on Hand" and saw this recommendation using GC:
API General Cure - Praziquantel and metronidazole mix, but in powder form. Dose 2x (about a week apart); NOT 48 hrs later as the directions say. ;)

I just started another batch of fish in QT (based on @HotRocks protocol) and I don't want to make the same mistake of dosing GC 48hrs. apart and losing the fish.

Is GC too much of a stresser to dose 48hrs. apart and is why you recommend 7 days as apposed to 48hrs?

Thanks.
Possibly an overdose if you dose GC 48 hours apart. The real reason you need to stretch it out is prazi doesn’t kill the egg stage of the worms. So you have to allow enough time for any “laid” eggs to hatch but kill the hatchlings off before they begin reproduction.

OP
OP
R

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks. I will space it out about 5-6 days between doses this time. Should I also do a 25% water change between doses just to be on the safe side?

Possibly an overdose if you dose GC 48 hours apart. The real reason you need to stretch it out is prazi doesn’t kill the egg stage of the worms. So you have to allow enough time for any “laid” eggs to hatch but kill the hatchlings off before they begin reproduction.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back