Cleaning live rock

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a a bad case of cyano in my reef tank. My system is a little over 4 years old. Some of my rock works have a sludge built up on it. I want to pull the rock from the tank and hose it off then return it to the tank. Is this a bad idea? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a a bad case of cyano in my reef tank. My system is a little over 4 years old. Some of my rock works have a sludge built up on it. I want to pull the rock from the tank and hose it off then return it to the tank. Is this a bad idea? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You sure can and then add some denitrifying bacteria to your tank at 1.5ml per 10 gallons daily for 2 weeks to help re-seed

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want to hose it off with tap water?
It is unlikely you will kill all cyanobacteria this way as they are ubiquitous and will hide somwhere in nooks anc crannies of live rock.
I would take the rock out and give it a good scrub with saltwater and also analyze what conditions caused outbreak of cyano-low flow, high nutrients, light spectrum, etc.

OP
OP
Michael v

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want to hose it off with tap water?
It is unlikely you will kill all cyanobacteria this way as they are ubiquitous and will hide somwhere in nooks anc crannies of live rock.
I would take the rock out and give it a good scrub with saltwater and also analyze what conditions caused outbreak of cyano-low flow, high nutrients, light spectrum, etc.
The cyano pretty much stopped but I think the way I have my rock work water flow is the problem. I’m going to reduce the amount of rock see if that will increase flow. For the most part I have a lot of trapped gunk on my rocks. Thank you for the advice

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back