Cleaning question

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m looking to upgrade and my uncle’s friend said he would sell me this for $200 since he’s getting out of the hobby. Does this look like it can be cleaned and any ideas on why it’s so dirty? Thanks (it’s the IM Nuvo mini 40g with stand)

F30FA1B4-3131-4090-880B-C49F8924DC9B.jpeg 2FE53B5F-16FD-4C47-A48E-3AF4C46EC269.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m looking to upgrade and my uncle’s friend said he would sell me this for $200 since he’s getting out of the hobby. Does this look like it can be cleaned and any ideas on why it’s so dirty? Thanks (it’s the IM Nuvo mini 40g with stand)

F30FA1B4-3131-4090-880B-C49F8924DC9B.jpeg 2FE53B5F-16FD-4C47-A48E-3AF4C46EC269.jpeg

Put it in a tub with vinegar in water to soak and soften it. Eventually it will cleanup. It's gonna take some work so see if you can negotiate him down more on price (always worth a try to negotiate... esp since uncle's friend knows what it looks like and hasn't cleaned it up...)

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in a tub with vinegar in water to soak and soften it. Eventually it will cleanup. It's gonna take some work so see if you can negotiate him down more on price (always worth a try to negotiate... esp since uncle's friend knows what it looks like and hasn't cleaned it up...)
Oh but like it is “cleanable” right? That’s the only con really. But if all it’s gonna take is a weekend and some elbow grease that’s seems fair thanks for responding! How long should I leave it in vinegar for and about how much vinegar do I add?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh but like it is “cleanable” right? That’s the only con really. But if all it’s gonna take is a weekend and some elbow grease that’s seems fair thanks for responding! How long should I leave it in vinegar for and about how much vinegar do I add?

Isn't that tank acrylic? Acrylic does limit your scrubbing abilities so when you say 'elbow grease' you are better off using more vinegar and soaking it off more gently... its slower but less likely to make scratches that make it cloudy. Vinegar is cheap... In a brute trashcan I probably do 4 vinegar gallons mix to 30 gallon trash can... You might want to do it in your tub, but you'll have to turn tank to soak all sides. Your family may tease that you are making pickles (to me, I think Easter Eggs so everyone has different vinegar smell associations lol). What you can't see until you get it clean is how scratched it might be from prior cleanings.

Magic erasers also work on acrylic (and glass). There are acrylic tank scrub pads.

Cleaning pumps, powdered citric acid is gentler and I mix that 2 cups RO water to 4 teaspoons powder. Using vinegar can shorten pump life. Citric acid is pretty cheap too, but vinegar by the gallon is at every super market so its both cheap and super easy to get.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that tank acrylic? Acrylic does limit your scrubbing abilities so when you say 'elbow grease' you are better off using more vinegar and soaking it off more gently... its slower but less likely to make scratches that make it cloudy. Vinegar is cheap... In a brute trashcan I probably do 4 vinegar gallons mix to 30 gallon trash can... You might want to do it in your tub, but you'll have to turn tank to soak all sides. Your family may tease that you are making pickles (to me, I think Easter Eggs so everyone has different vinegar smell associations lol). What you can't see until you get it clean is how scratched it might be from prior cleanings.

Magic erasers also work on acrylic (and glass). There are acrylic tank scrub pads.

Cleaning pumps, powdered citric acid is gentler and I mix that 2 cups RO water to 4 teaspoons powder. Using vinegar can shorten pump life. Citric acid is pretty cheap too, but vinegar by the gallon is at every super market so its both cheap and super easy to get.
Oh I see so I should really give it time and instead of scrubbing it should feel more like a rubbing with like a magic eraser sponge?( thank you for the info btw)

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would use citric acid to clean the tank and pumps.

All that you see there is coralline algae that grew on the AOI surfaces and the back wall, probably looked nice while the tank was running.

Carbonated water and a rag will also work to break it down.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead coralline. Lay it on its back with the crud side up. Cover with paper towels and soak them with citric acid solution. Let sit for an hour or so. Rise and repeat. Should come right off. Vinegar works too but takes much longer.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience with a used tank. I filled it with fresh water, added some citric acid (you can buy a tub of it on Amazon for $10…add about 3 cups for that size tank), inserted a filter sock, turned the return pump on, and let it soak and circulate for several hours. You’ll be able to just rub all the film/calcium deposit off with a soft scrubbing brush or magic eraser (don’t press hard with the eraser). You’ll know it’s soaked long enough when the film just comes right off with a little scrubbing. The filter sock collects all the debris and after a while you end up with a sparkling clean aquarium. Drain, rinse, good to go.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back