Cleaning up after Zoas (Palytoxin)

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my first corals for my reef, a set of 7 (+1 freebie!) zoas.
I dipped them, took a toothbrush to the plugs, etc, and was careful to wear eye pro and a mask, with nitrile gloves.

Now... what about the things that touched them, or more realistically, the water they were in?
Scissors for the bags, large stainless bowl, frag carrier and 2L beaker used for the dips, etc.

What is the best way to clean these?

Good washing in hot, soapy water?

Perhaps a pass or two through a hot dishwasher afterwards?

I know palytoxin can be bad, but short of boiling rocks (inhaling), cuts in the skin, eyes, and mouth... what level of paranoia is a good idea here?

--Gray

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good cleaning in cold water w bleach if poss,wash your hands 3x,and then do it again..better safe than sorry,glad you asked ,hot water is steam vapor,no dishwasher :) happy reefing

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine As long as you don’t use them at night I suppose?

I never done any of those safety precautions except for washing my hands with soap later

maybe I been poisoned already lol

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no where near as safe as you when it comes to handling zoanthids & paly's and I commend you for the effort. I would run under hot water for several seconds.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wash the container the zoas were dipped in with regular dish soap.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is quite good:
Palytoxin poisoning — Palytoxin derives from the microalgae, Ostreopsis ovate and O. siamensis, corals, and sea anemones. Palytoxin was originally described in Hawaii but more recently has caused health problems among home aquarium enthusiasts [37] and after an algal bloom in Italy [38]. It binds to and disables the sodium/potassium ATPase pump. Human exposure to palytoxin has been described following ingestion of crabs, fish, and shellfish that have fed on palytoxin-containing algae or coral [39], inhalational exposure from corals in fish tanks or sea air [37,40-43], and dermal or eye exposure after touching corals that elaborate the toxin [43-46].

Inhalational exposure from soft corals in aquariums or sea air can produce conjunctivitis, chest pain, fever, shortness of breath, and bronchospasm [39,47]. Rarely, adult respiratory distress syndrome and acute respiratory failure may occur. Treatment is supportive with administration of antihistamines, inhaled bronchodilators, and systemic corticosteroids.

Although rare, ingestion of contaminated seafood (algae- and reef-feeding fish, crustaceans, and shellfish) can produce neurologic symptoms of paresthesias, weakness, severe uncontrollable muscle cramping (potentially leading to rhabdomyolysis), and hot-cold reversal [39]. Additional findings may include diaphoresis, vomiting, diarrhea, and severe abdominal cramping. Poisoning may occur in outbreaks with mortality rates as high as 10 percent [39].

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back