Clear Hanging Wire for lights

swimmatte

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am changing my lights in the next few weeks and will need to hang them from the ceiling. My tanks are all in my living room so I'm looking to make it as clean as possible and really don't want to see ugly hanging wires coming from my ceiling. Has anyone ever used this?

I[/COLOR]]OOK 15 ft. 50 lb. Nylon Invisible Hanging Wire-50104 at The Home Depott shows it as having a 50 pound support strength. Does anyone see a reason as to why it wouldn't work?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 50 pound test fishing line. It's thin and durable.

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of yalls ideas seem good... But, i would be careful since any fasteners or knots will weaken the lines...

Seavee1218

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U dont even need 50lb .. 30lb will work and if u could crimp it so u dont have to worry about ur not slipping , trust me I fish yellowfin tuna over in Bahamas all the time only using 50lb mono when some times these fish will weight 60-70lbs

Jawbone flats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work and as stated you can use fishing line.. it is the same thing.

you can clamp the line instead of knotting for a much neater appearance
If you have access to a decent fishing tackle shop look for something called a double barrel leader sleeve.
slide the line through then loop around whatever your supporting and then back through the sleeve and clamp together.

OP
OP
S

swimmatte

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be hanging an Evergrow IT2060 on one tank, and an Evergrow d120 on my frag tank. I'm not sure how much the actual fixture weighs but I do know that my shipping weight is 8kg on the IT2060 and 4kg on the d120 so I'm really not hanging much weight.

Is this what you're talking about with the leader sleeve?

American Fishing Wire Double-Barreled Leader Sleeves : Cabela's

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out p line cxx it's one of the strongest fishing lines there is and easy to find.10 lb p line compares to 30 lb on most other brands.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust fishing line. It is not made for being under load 24/7.

I don't even notice the wires holding my light. Install them correctly and they look pretty sleek.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over time, the heat will stretch the line and make it brittle. If you are going to use it go for larger pound test. 100-150. Fluorocarbon is pretty invisible.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 lb line would look just as bad as wire lol.good fishing line will hold long term iv used it many times.and fluorocarbon is only invisible under water.out of water it looks like any mono line.But i agree wire is def the best choice to hang a fixture

zoaobsession

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my lights hanging with this exact product before I moved. It worked great and I never had an issue. It really looked as if the lights were completely suspended in the air, even when up close to the tank.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think 50lb monofilament would be fine, but I definitely wouldn't trust it on my Radion Pro, even though it weighs way less than the evergrow. I would be worried since it is under constant load in a marine environment and attached to the ceiling and light with a loop. I would worry that after a long time being there rubbing against the hanging hardware, it will weaken or break. Very thin steel cable is pretty tough to see and you don't have to worry about any of these issues since it is rated in the hundreds of pounds per line and designed for constant load and has some abrasion resistance.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back