Clear jelly filling filter socks in hours?

RyanReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a clear jelly like substance on all the rocks and glass. It compleatly clogging my filter socks overnight. What is it and how do I get rid of it?
20190203_143055.jpeg

OP
OP
RyanReef

RyanReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any zoos that were disturbed or irritated recently.
Some Irritated coral will produce this when manhandled or disturbed
Yes I have zoas and nems but I only have a few and this has been far more jelly than I believe they could create. It seems like its growing?

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen a couple months ago. Most of mine was in the sump area, floating in the water...it completely covered my filter socks. Still have no idea what happened. I did a water change, cleaned sump and it hasn’t happened again.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a type of microscopic life, anything from bacteria to protozoan can make weird slimy collections.
In it of itself isnt an issue but could foretell a situation where something less desirable could take hold. Be it from not enough flow or too high nutrients. In newer tanks could simply mean that the food web hasnt filled itself out

OP
OP
RyanReef

RyanReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using nopox?

Does anyone use air fresheners in the House? Painting ?

That would be a bacterial bloom paioibke caused by VOCs. Volitile organic carbons in the fresheners or nopox.
Good call! We just painted the room the tank is in, didn't even think about that. Is there anything I should do or be concerned about?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low oxygen can be a symtom. But if all else is ok the tank it’s likley not a problem.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call! We just painted the room the tank is in, didn't even think about that. Is there anything I should do or be concerned about?
I had the same issue when I set my tank up a couple of years ago. At the time my oldest daughter kept scented candles and wax constantly going in the house. After stopping the wax and candle madness the slime stopped within a few days. It’s definitely bacterial and as someone mentioned earlier there’s just not enough good bacteria to outcompete it in your tank yet.

OP
OP
RyanReef

RyanReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been about 2 weeks the jelly is mostly gone. A few corals were impacted but over all recovering.

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing nopox and noticed the same thing happening to my filter sock. In about 1 days time covered and clogged with a clear gel like substance

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back